[SOLVED] Update Notifier not working

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
pnbalaji

Re: Update Notifier not working

Post by pnbalaji »

I did re-install salix-update-notifier. However, the issue still exists.

zenity is there in my system.

when I run the command "salix-update-notifier" from the terminal, nothing happens. It just sits there.

Thanks,
Balaji.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks atip. But Balaji has zenity, because he is seeing the dialogue. What the notifier does if you answer yes is call gslapt using gksu, so if that works in a terminal, the notifier is unmodified, gslapt is unmodified, I am at a loss as to what may be going wrong.

That is why I also asked
mimosa wrote:
mimosa wrote: Can you remember when you started seeing this behaviour, and anything you did at the time (just beforehand) to change anything?
Since it works on my system (but it would be great if anyone reading could test theirs, or report any similar trouble they may be having) it must be something you unwittingly changed (or has it been so since you installed?). This can be hard to pin down and for serious problems, or if you find it sufficiently irritating, it may be easiest to reinstall.
pnbalaji

Post by pnbalaji »

mimosa wrote:
mimosa wrote: Can you remember when you started seeing this behaviour, and anything you did at the time (just beforehand) to change anything?
I don't remember exactly when this issue started happening. It was sometime next week. I do remember two things that I did last week.

1. Install chartnexus software.
2. Installing lxmed (LXDE Menu Editor). For some reason, LXDE Menu Editor threw some error message and in order to get it work, I did install libgksu using slapt-get and gksu using slapt-src. This could be the starting point of the issue.

Thanks,
Balaji.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

pnbalaji wrote:I did install libgksu using slapt-get and gksu using slapt-src. This could be the starting point of the issue.
I believe this is what caused your problem. Salix uses gnsu for superuser privelages. When gnsu is install it creates symbolic likes from gksu and gksudo to gnsu. These links where overridden when you installed these packages. Try removing both packages, with spkg

Code: Select all

$ sudo spkg -d libgksu gksudo
Then recreate the two symbolic links

$ cd /usr/bin
$ ln -s gnsu gksu
$ ln -s gnsu gksudo
Instead of manually replacing the sym links, you could try reinstalling the gnsu package

$ sudo slapt-get -i --reinstall gnsu
[laprjns, I edited above to include cd, as you presumably intended. This looks like the solution! mimosa]
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
pnbalaji

Post by pnbalaji »

Thanks, I will try this once I am home.

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Post by pnbalaji »

Ok, I removed libgksu and gksu and reinstalled gnsu.

When I run the LXDE Menu Editor from command line, I get the following message.

bash-4.3$ /usr/bin/lxmed
sudo: unrecognized option '--message'
usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -V
usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user]
usage: sudo -l [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-U user] [-u user]
            [command]
usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-T timeout]
            [-u user] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] [<command>]
usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-T timeout]
            [-u user] file ...
The gksu command in the script /usr/bin/lxmed was something like "gksu --message "some text" '/usr/bin/java -jar LXDEMenuEditor.jar". It looks like the stock version of gksu does not support the --message parameter. So, I edited the script and removed the --message parameter. Now, LXDE Menu Editor runs fine without any issues.

I need to wait for the update notifier to notify of me next updates to see whether the issue is completely fixed or not.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Without the forums, I may not have figured out on my own.

Thanks,
Balaji.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

pnbalaji wrote:The gksu command in the script /usr/bin/lxmed was something like "gksu --message "some text" '/usr/bin/java -jar LXDEMenuEditor.jar".
Where did you get your lxmed package? The package from Slackbuilds doesn't have the "gksu --message" part of that line. If you would have use the Slackbuild package you would not have run into your problem. Having said that, as it set up, the Slackbuild lxmed doesn't run with root privileges, which result in not being able to edit or change any of the existing menu items. So you were going to need to edit the /usr/bin/lxmed script or the /usr/share/application/ lxmed.desktop file anyway.
pnbalaji wrote: It looks like the stock version of gksu does not support the --message parameter.
There really isn't a "stock" version of gksu. Niether Salix nor Slackware includes the gksu package in their main repository. Slackware dropped the gksu package a while back and Salix (gapan) came up with an alternative (http://salixos.blogspot.com/2013/11/the ... oblem.html) to deal with launching applications from the menu with elevated privaleges.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
pnbalaji

Post by pnbalaji »

I am not sure from where I have downloaded the LXDE Menu Editor. It has been couple of years ago. My favourite DE has been XFCE till now and XFCE does not offer an easy way to edit the menu items. I found this LXDE Menu Editor to be useful to add/make changes to the XFCE menu.

gksu was not in gslapt, but available in sourcery. When I installed gksu using sourcery, it supported the --message parameter.

Thanks,
Balaji.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Sourcey is a graphical front end to slapt-src. Slapt-src buildd packages from sources an SLACKBUILDs from Slackbuild.org.
pnbalaji

Post by pnbalaji »

Yes, I guess gksu is from slackbuilds.org.

Thanks,
Balaji.