sourcery

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
more

sourcery

Post by more »

Hi, and goodevening at all.

I have a doubt about sourcery and gslapt. Last year i installed virtualbox from sourcery and after this i found virtualbox from the packages list in gslapt marked how installed.
This is fine. However , when a update the packages list in sourcery, i find the new version of virtualbox packages updated and marked how installed, but my virtualbox installed is the previous version and not the new one in the list. This could be a confusion.
Is it correct that i say? There is something to do?
Thanks.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: sourcery

Post by gapan »

Hi more,

In gslapt you see all available packages, as well as all installed packages, regardless of how you installed these packages (through the package management, from a slackbuild with slapt-src/sourcery, or manually).

In sourcery, you see that you already have a package with that name already installed. It doesn't matter that the version that you have is different than the one available now. This is on purpose.There is no "upgrade" concept in sourcery, as there is no package to upgrade to. Upgrading would mean that you build the newer version of the software from scratch, which would create a new package, that will eventually replace the one that is already installed. Since it involves the "build" process, which can be very long for certain software, it offers the option to "Reinstall/Rebuild" it.
more

Post by more »

Thank you so much Gapan

I understand your explanation and I understand the philosophy of sourcery, but I say, would not be a good idea to mark packages as installed but not updated?
For example: blue status = installed, yellow status = installed but not updated according to the latest packages in the repository.
This would intuitive for discover wich packages could be upgrading.
What is your opinion?
Thanks.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

I think you may have misunderstood what gapan said...

With Sourcery/SBo there are no upgrades, since there are no packages, only source code/Slackbuild scripts that you use to build a package. If you want a newer version of [package foo, ] that's in Sourcery, then you have to manually rebuild that package yourself. That is how Salix/Slackware works. Gapan and Salix team do provide updates/upgrades for the binary packages they provide in Salix and /extra repos, however, only for security purposes just like Slackware does for the packages Salix gets from Slackware.

Hope that makes sense.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I'll put it another way: sourcery is a frontend for slapt-src. Look into slapt-src's manpage, try to find the upgrade option. There is none.
more

Post by more »

Thank you all for your availability.

But sorry if I still need clarification, I tried to rebuild / install from Sourcery: zim to version 0.67, look what happens:

Code: Select all

root[moreno]# slapt-get --upgrade -s
Lettura della lista dei pacchetti...Fatto
I seguenti pacchetti sono stati ESCLUSI:
  kernel-firmware kernel-headers kernel-huge kernel-modules kernel-source 
I seguenti pacchetti saranno aggiornati:
  zim 
1 pacchetto aggiornato, 0 pacchetti reinstallati, 0 nuovi pacchetti da installare, 0 pacchetti da rimuovere, 5 pacchetti non aggiornati.
Da scaricare 0,0kB/1,4MB di archivi.
Dopo l'installazione 504,0kB di sazio sul disco saranno liberati.
zim-0.67-x86_64-1_SBo è da aggiornare alla versione 0.65-x86_64-2gv
Slapt-get would upgrade zim to the previous version?? the 0.65? there is something to strange....

My sistem is in italian and sorry for this.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Hello,
more wrote:Slapt-get would upgrade zim to the previous version?? the 0.65? there is something to strange....
Nothing strange there.

"upgrade" here actually means "replace" with the version of a package with the same name in a repository listed in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getc.

In this case this is a Salix repository like http://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/14.2 that contains the 0.65 version.

slapt-get (as well as upgredpkg or spkg --upgrade) doesn't make any assumption about which version number is more recent, it just replace the installed package by the one found in the repository (in case of slapt-get) or the one to which you indicate the path in a local file system (in case of upgradepkg or spkg --upgrade)

It just happens that the repository used by sourcery , which is probably http://slackware.uk/salix/sb/14.2 contains a SlackBuild at version 0.67. This is because it is a mirror of the SlackBuilds provided by https://slackbuilds.org/ and the maintainer of the zim SlackBuild decided to propose the 0.67 version.

To make a long story short, if you prefer the 0.67 version and don't want that the "upgrade" be proposed by slapt-get, you can either put the package in a local repository and edit /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc accordingly or just blacklist it in the same file.
My sistem is in italian and sorry for this.
That''s not a issue at all, don't be sorry.

Alternatively you could post in the Italian forum , but that's really up to you.

Greetings,

Didier
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

DidierSpaier wrote:you can either put the package in a local repository and edit /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc accordingly
Here is how to set that up. Every time you add a new package to your local repo, you need to run the metagen script:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7246&p=42068&hilit=metagen#p42068

I use this for my own builds as well.
more

Post by more »

Thank you to all for your very very kindly and professional answer.
Before your last answer,i put all my repo list in default priority and it seems to work well,the command slapt-get - upgrade does not offer the downgrade of zim (for example).
Is it correct the default priority in all repo list?
I readed this post:
https://software.jaos.org/git/slapt-get/plain/FAQ.html
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

No, it's not really correct, but it works in this case because your local package has a higher version number. Everything else has been left alone too because it is still the latest version, but it is likely you would have trouble with these options over time, so you should probably change it back. See the answer in that FAQ to the question "How do I assign priorities to my package sources?"

The idea of the priorities is to avoid a situation where a given package is available from two sources with no criterion to choose between them, as well as to assign the correct priority between packages from the default sources. In the former case the highest version number "wins" (with possibly undesirable consequences), or if they are the same, the existing package will be retained.
The priorities of PREFERRED, OFFICIAL, and CUSTOM allow the packages from a
mirror to be tracked more closely. A package from a source with a priority
higher than DEFAULT will "upgrade" the installed package whenever the version
strings differ, regardless of whether this is an upgrade or a downgrade in
terms of version number comparison. Where a package is available in different
versions from several different sources, the package from the source with the
greatest priority will be used for upgrade. Version numbers are only
considered in the event of a tie between two packages from sources with the
same priority.
Here is my slapt-getrc:

Code: Select all

# Working directory for local storage/cache.
WORKINGDIR=/var/slapt-get

# Exclude package names and expressions.
# To exclude pre and beta packages, add this to the exclude:
#   [0-9\_\.\-]{1}pre[0-9\-\.\-]{1}
EXCLUDE=^aaa_elflibs,^aaa_base,^devs,^glibc.*,^kernel-.*,^rootuser-settings,^zzz-settings.*,-i?86-,^qemu,^udisks2,^refind,^vlc

# The Slackware repositories, including dependency information
SOURCE=http://mirrors.nix.org.ua/linux/salixos/x86_64/slackware-14.2/:OFFICIAL
SOURCE=http://mirrors.nix.org.ua/linux/salixos/x86_64/slackware-14.2/extra/:OFFICIAL

# The Salix repository
SOURCE=http://mirrors.nix.org.ua/linux/salixos/x86_64/14.2/:PREFERRED
# And the Salix extra repository
SOURCE=http://mirrors.nix.org.ua/linux/salixos/x86_64/extra-14.2/:OFFICIAL

# Local repositories
SOURCE=file:///home/mimosa/data/localrepo/:CUSTOM
As you can see, I added some items to the EXCLUDE line before I started using the local repository method, which I think is preferable because you can see exactly what your customization is and keep things up to date more easily.