Salix's Extra and SBo repositories are in discord

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix's Extra and SBo repositories are in discord

Post by mimosa »

What is a "system-wide push to talk"? It sounds like a macabre Maoist slogan :twisted:
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Apparently, you have the chat client running in the background, whatever you're doing (playing a game or doing actual work :P) all the time listening to everyone else, and for everyone else to hear you, you have to keep a hotkey pressed on the keyboard. So it wouldn't matter if you have the discord app in front, or running in the background. That's probably not possible with the webapp.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I see I misparsed "push" (as a noun), but it still sounds like more of a bug than a feature to me.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

The web app has two voice input modes, Voice Activity and Push to Talk. In Voice Activity mode, all sound being picked up by the system microphone is being transmitted to everyone listening, no matter if the Web app window is in focus or not. In Push to Talk mode, one needs to push and hold a key in order for sound to be transmitted, however this only works when the Web app window is in focus. For gamers, neither of these options are desirable.

The client app has the same two modes with the exception that in Push to Talk mode you don't need the client app window to be in focus for it to work. Hence it is refered to as System Wide Push to Talk.

BTW, I do have a slkbuild package working. I'm calling it discord-viop. It installs in /opt with the binary located in /opt/Discord/. I used sed to change the discord.deskstop to launch Discord from that path.

I don't think there will be any conflicts with the other discord, since it is a command line app and uses lower case “discord” to name it's binary where discord-viop uses "Discord" for its binary. Also after looking at the other discord website I don't thing there will be a lot of demand for the application since it is a program that generates beats for brainwave entrainment . Here's the first two lines of discord disclaimer:
http://discord.sourceforge.net/DISCLAIMER.html wrote: If used consistently (a half hour or more per day) over long periods of time (months, years), listening to brainwave entrainment beats will cause psychological change, and might cause profound psychological change. Presumably that is why you are doing this, but now it is explicit.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I believe that comes as standard with Windows Twelve.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Package submission ticket opened. SLKBUILD and package can be found here:
http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/discord-voip/0.0.4/

The only dependency is libc++, however on a new install libc++ will pull in several others.

Might want to consider this application for any future team meeting.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"