Salix's Extra and SBo repositories are in discord

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Salix's Extra and SBo repositories are in discord

Post by laprjns »

..at least in regards to the package....discord ;)

Well my kids are telling me that no one does Skype anymore and that I should be using Discord (https://discordapp.com/) instead. So after checking that it was avaible in SBo, I updated my package cache using spi -u and installed discord with spi -i discord. What I wanted was discord, the VOIP app and what I got was discord, a brainwave entrainment generator for Linux. spi installed the prebuilt Sbo package discord-3.2.1-x86_64-3salix.

You can see the problem by looking at the change log of the SBo repo (http://salix.enialis.net/sbo/14.2/ChangeLog.txt)

Code: Select all

rich[~]$ cat ChangeLog.txt | grep discord
network/discord: Updated for version 0.0.4.
network/discord: Updated for version 0.0.3.
network/discord: Updated for version 0.0.2.
network/discord: Added (It's time to ditch Skype and TeamSpeak).	<== 01-04-17
audio/discord: Removed (Maintainer no longer use Slackware).		<== 25-03-16
SBo dropped discord, the brainwave entrainment generator, in March of 2016 after it was built and added to the Salix extra repositiory. And since the Salix extra and Sbo repos are static, discord the VIOP app is not available.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
DidierSpaier

Re: Salix's Extra and SBo repositories are in discord

Post by DidierSpaier »

Maybe they should have changed the name @SBo...

If he wants to do that, George could host the "new" discord in extra?

However I just checked installing sbopkg and running "sqg -p discord" and I get these dependencies on top of a full Slackware installation:

# cat /var/lib/sbopkg/queues/discord.sqf
typing
sphinxcontrib-websupport
snowballstemmer
six
python-urllib3
idna
python-chardet
python-certifi
python-requests
Pygments
MarkupSafe
Jinja2
imagesize
docutils
pytz
babel
alabaster
Sphinx
libunwind
libc++
discord

Some of these packages are already in the Salix or Extra repos but maybe not all and I'm not sure the versions would match, so that would need some work, assuming that the deps registered in the .info, read by sqg, are accurate, which I didn't check. Also each name should be checked, for instance in the Salix repo "six" is named "python-six".

I will meanwhile continue to use Skype to speak with my elder brother across the Atlantic Ocean ;)

As an aside if I had to install all that myself I would set up virtualenv in my $HOME not to mess up with my "official" python packages.

PS for some reason the "code" tags didn't work, sorry.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Yes there is quite a lengthy list of dependencies. I did try to manually install them all using a combination of spi, slapt-get and slapt-src while juggling repo selections in slapt-srcrc. Almost had them all installed but ran into a problem with Sphinx and finally gave up.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Well, it sucks that there is another package with the exact same name. It would have been much better if they named this one as discordapp or something different. Maybe we can add it with a different name. I'll give it a try.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Wait a minute. Isn't discord a webapp? I've never used it but I think you can just use the browser, log in and be done with it.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I think its own client is richer than the web version.

I've never used it myself, but a quick search turned up the suggestion to just download their generic tarball (not the .deb file used in the SackBuild) and put it in /opt. Sounds like this version could come bundled with everything it needs.

Neither version involves actual compilation from source.

https://discordapp.com/api/download?pla ... mat=tar.gz
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Well, just tried using it from its webpage. It seems to work fine. I'm not sure if the "standalone app" provides anything more, as it seems to just be using electron to wrap the webapp into a native application.

I also tried the tarball and something does not work. The window loads but I'm getting an error that something went wrong and it doesn't seem to go anywhere from there.

edit: the standalone app seems to provide "system-wide push to talk", which the webapp probably doesn't.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

gapan wrote:edit: the standalone app seems to provide "system-wide push to talk", which the webapp probably doesn't.
Yes, this is why my son told me to use the app. I'll tried the tarball and see what happens.

Thanks
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Got it working using the gz package extracted into /opt. Initially, the window loaded but got a "crash" error. Goggling suggested that libc++ needed to be installed. Installing libc++ with slapt-src also pulled in libumwind. First run as a normal user resulted in a java error. I then started it with sudo and it came up without problems, no java errors. After this it started without errors as a normal users.

Maybe all that is needed is a SKBUILD that just installs the binary package to /opt along with editing the desktop file for the correct path /opt/Discord/discord). Both the desktop and icon also need to be copied to the appropriate directory in /usr/share/. Will need to add libc++ and libunwind as dependencies.

I can take a shot at this over the next couple of days. I can call the package discord-voip. I am not sure if the binary needs to be renamed to avoid a possible conflict with the other discord which gets installed to /usr/bin. What do you think?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

If there isn't an overlap on the files in both packages, no need to rename the binary I think.