how to conig lilo to make an internal hd bootable as usb

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
jsfarinet

how to conig lilo to make an internal hd bootable as usb

Post by jsfarinet »

My problem is this: i have a nice and working salix setup with xmonad as desktop. Now, i changed hthe internal hd of my laptop and i wanted to keep the previous INTERNAL hd as an external and bootable device with all the stuff on it. Now the problem is: while when attached to the internal sata controller all boots fine trying to boot with the same hd from external i' m getting a kernel panic. Guessing in the dark, i'd presume i'd have to configure lilo? But how?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: how to conig lilo to make an internal hd bootable as usb

Post by mimosa »

The trouble is probably that the initial environment doesn't have the kernel modules needed to recognise the device; if so,t the solution is to make an initrd that contains them. I believe there is some info on the wiki about this, probably also if you search the forum.

However, would you consider a fresh install on your new disk, with the old one as an external data disk? You are likely to get faster and more reliable performance, as well as saving yourself a certain amount of hassle.

Another problem is the way the external disk would be mounted and named, which might end up not being consistent. To avoid that, you should use UUIDs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal ... identifier
Again, there is probably a fair bit of information about this scattered about the forum.

I used to use xmonad and loved it. Getting things set up right does involve a bit of tweaking, but probably not as much as this would.
jsfarinet

Re: how to conig lilo to make an internal hd bootable as usb

Post by jsfarinet »

Thanks mimosa, i'll follow your pointers!

And yes, xmonad is really very nice (and extremely responsive, i find). Think: I'm not really a technician but as for me, i looked for a tiling window manager, because i do translations and i love to have side by side the original to my (before i used JWM, which also is able to tile (in a very rudimentary way; but, after trying i3 i found xmonad and got "in love with it. Also, because the people on freenode, is really very helpful and friendly even with computer dumbs like me).

Cheers!