install nvidia driver

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: install nvidia driver

Post by mimosa »

Just follow the instructions exactly as you did before. You have probably missed something out. You did reinstall the bootloader and reboot, after the kernel upgrade, as per the instructions?
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

I followed the instructions exactly. So I rebooted, and ran through the whole procedure exactly as before. No visible changes were suggested in any of the feedback. Yet this time - success! Nvidia install scripts are notoriously finicky on .deb based systems, so why not Salix also? The only thing that I did different was the following:

Code: Select all

$ sudo init 3
has never exited cleanly on any of my Salix installs. I always have to use CTRL - C to end the process, regardless of whether 5 minutes or 20 minutes have gone by. This time I waited 30 minutes before I ended the shift to init 3 with a CTRL - C. Maybe that was what did the trick. Thanks again for all of your help mimosa!
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

globetrotterdk wrote:I did different was the following:

$ sudo init 3
has never exited cleanly on any of my Salix installs. I always have to use CTRL - C to end the process, regardless of whether 5 minutes or 20 minutes have gone by. This time I waited 30 minutes before I ended the shift to init 3 with a CTRL - C.
I usually just press the return key and it gets me back to the prompt.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Good to know. Thanks.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Another way if you have trouble is to edit /etc/inittab, changing the first uncommented line from

# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
id:4:initdefault:
to

# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
id:3:initdefault:
and reboot. This means X will no longer be started automatically (instead you boot into runlevel 3, text only). When done, change it back.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Thanks. I accidentally uninstalled most of my system due to a problem with megasync that I was trying to sort out. Next time, I forgot to run "sudo eliloconfig", so when I finally got around to running the Nvidia script after I had changed /etc/inittab and rebooted, I can categorically say that at least on my system, editing /etc/inittab is the only reliable way to get around the problem with the Nvidia script complaining. If the problem with megasync comes up again, I'll post a separate thread. Hopefully, it won't be necessary.