install nvidia driver

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
globetrotterdk

install nvidia driver

Post by globetrotterdk »

Weeel, I am trying to follow the HowTo, but have run into a couple of roadblocks at the very start:

Code: Select all

# slapt-get --update
(...)
Verifying checksum signature [http://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/14.2/]...No key for verification
(...)
Verifying checksum signature [http://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/extra-14.2/]...No key for verification

# slapt-get -i xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist
Reading Package Lists...Done
No such package: xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist
As I remember it, http://slackware.uk/salix/ was always the most reliable repo...
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: install nvidia driver

Post by mimosa »

The wiki instructions aren't quite right. The package is actually called

xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist-noarch-1
However, it seems it may be simpler (and possibly even better) just to run the install script twice:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5452&hilit=nouveau ... t&start=20

Let us know how you get on!
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Thanks. I have never tried this with Salix before. Everything that laprjns referred to is in Sourcery, so I don't know if the script can at all be run twice. I installed the nvidia-kernel. I could see that everything compiled fine. No I can install nvidia-driver from Sourcery, but as to whether it will run an install script again, I can't say.
----
I am getting an error when trying to install nvidia-driver in Sourcery:

/usr/src/slapt-src/system/nvidia-driver/nvidia-modprobe-390.25.tar.bz2: Cannot open
I don't get anything when searching about this error, however there is no /usr/src/slapt-src/system/nvidia-driver/nvidia-modprobe-390.25.tar.bz2
----
Ahh, I found the script NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.25.run in /usr/src/slapt-src/system/nvidia-driver/, so in principle, I could run it twice...
----
Unlike in the linked topic above, there is no nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf in /etc/modprobe.d

$ cd /etc/modprobe.d
$ ls -l
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 511 Jul  8  2012 README
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Thanks for the HowTo link, ChuangTzu. However the version of the nvidia-driver that I need, as laprjns pointed out, is:
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2 ... dia-driver
It should however, again be reiterated that both the correct nvidia-kernel and nvidia-driver are in Sourcery. As the HowTo also refers to installing the xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist package, there is no real difference between the HowTo and first installing the xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist package and the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-driver from Sourcery, as far as I can see.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I have never needed to do this myself, but the consensus seems to be that it is best to use the script as provided on the Nvidia website (executing it twice). I have edited the instructions on the wiki to remove reference to the blacklisting package. The only reason I think it might not work is because of anything else you may already have done, in which case I am afraid the simplest remedy is reinstallation, followed by the kernel upgrade, initrd generation, and full package upgrade.

However, the devil is in the detail, and we will be most interested to hear how you get on with it, especially as these are new instructions. In particular, it may not be obvious to you in every case what answer to give to the questions asked by the script.

I should emphasise there is no "Nvidia kernel". You can keep the one you are using. You just need the right driver (as it is known in the Windows world) for your Nvidia graphics card. The script they provide will do everything needed.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Hello from Punta Cana were the internet connection is spotty and my typing on a cell phone only makes it worse.
For installing both the nVidia driver a VirtualBox I used the vendors installer scripts. As mimosas said you will need to run the nVidia installer twice. I just find it easier than running SLACKBUILDS. The first run removes the nouvoua driver and the second run compiles and installs it.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

COOL :) OK, many thanks for replying.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

The instructions were very precise. No need to hunt around for extra packages based on cryptic messages from the Nvidia script, as when using a .deb based system. Very nice. Unfortunately, there was also a snag. Running the installer a second time, as described, kicks up the following error:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Sun Mar 11 18:14:34 2018
installer version: 384.111

PATH: /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib64/java/jre/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/usr/sbin

nvidia-installer command line:
    ./nvidia-installer

Unable to load: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> Detected 6 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 6.
ERROR: An NVIDIA kernel module 'nvidia-drm' appears to already be loaded in your kernel.  This may be because it is in use (for example, by an X server, a CUDA program, or the NVIDIA Persistence Daemon), but this may also happen if your kernel was configured without support for module unloading.  Please be sure to exit any programs that may be using the GPU(s) before attempting to upgrade your driver.  If no GPU-based programs are running, you know that your kernel supports module unloading, and you still receive this message, then an error may have occured that has corrupted an NVIDIA kernel module's usage count, for which the simplest remedy is to reboot your computer.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
Not sure how relevant it is, as the Nvidia driver/blob seems to be working fine...
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Did you follow step 3 of the instructions? That output suggests X is still running.