rEFInd commands not available.

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
globetrotterdk

Re: rEFInd commands not available.

Post by globetrotterdk »

I just got hit again with:

Code: Select all

elilo.........................................................................................................................................................................................................
after I ran a normal update using the update applet. This shouldn't be happening, but as it is, should I run eliloconfig and answer yes to the first question, but no to the second?
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Assuming you can boot into your Salix (which you would have to do to do that anyway), why not try fixing it with Guefi? Or failing that, reinstall refind, as you did last time.
EDIT also, what happens if you boot into your system, do none of the above, and reboot?

The question then is why this is happening. Next time, please make a note of what is proposed to be upgraded, and perhaps don't immediately carry it out.

It may also be worth thinking about what else is going on. Does this happen every time you are asked to upgrade packages by the notifier? Could it be, for example, that you have just booted windows? Have you altered /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc in any way?

The only time you should need to reinstall the bootloader (in your case, by running eliloconfig) is if you upgrade the kernel. This does not happen when you do a package upgrade, because the kernel packages are excluded, precisely in order to avoid an unexpected problem with booting. In any case, your kernel is already up to date, and if you did have incorrect kernel packages, the behaviour would not be what you describe. So I think we can assume for the time being that eliloconfig is not relevant as either cause or solution.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Thanks for the reply. Things are getting stranger and stranger. Refind has worked fine without any complaints. However, elilo refused to boot, just giving me the elilo.... thing. I last booted the system by booting from a refind generated menu in my UEFI. All I did was open my browser post to the thread, wait awhile and then shut off the computer. This time, I thought I would again try to boot using refind to see if I got any new insights as to what is going on. However, this time, everything worked perfectly, including elilo booting without any elilo.... I only have Salix running on a hard disk at this time. The Win 10 HD is disconnected, so it is only Salix and the UEFI (plus refind and elilo) that are interacting. Of note is that Salix is installed on /dev/sda (under Devuan) but has become /dev/sdb with Salix OS installed. I think I have mentioned everything with regards to booting and my setup at this time...
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Here is my /boot/efi/EFI/Salix-Xfce-14.2/elilo.conf:

Code: Select all

chooser=simple
delay=1
timeout=1
#
image=vmlinuz
        label=vmlinuz
        initrd=initrd.gz
        read-only
        append="root=/dev/sda2 vga=normal ro"
My guess is that if you edit the last line of each stanza to use the UUID, run eliloconfig (yes, then no), and reboot, that is what you will get. You have never tested your initrd with UUIDs (I assume) so it may not work.

However, laprjns is your man for all things EFI. He may have a better idea.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Thank you for that. I don't know what to think at this point. I started the computer again and after after the refind boot, elilo gave me the same elilo...... again. Rebooted and everything was right as rain. I am tempted at this point to go back to Legacy mode with my UEFI and reinstall.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

What makes you think you would be better off with legacy?

At this point, I think it is fair to say it looks like you don't have a Salix problem - whether a bug or something caused by user error. That motherboard you mentioned seems to be the cause. Working round its unpredictable behaviour is a matter of trial and error. In the mean time, you haven't said what you do to get back into Salix when trouble strikes, but it seems to be reliable.

I googled a little more and it seems you may do better with PARTUUID than UUID, but I'm really not sure about it. May I suggest you just explore the problem, whenever you have time to do so, and meanwhile, work round it? And I'll repeat my recommendation of the refind USB boot stick.