rEFInd commands not available.

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
globetrotterdk

rEFInd commands not available.

Post by globetrotterdk »

I just upgraded my system and forgot to run "eliloconfig". Luckily, I had rEFInd installed and it had made an entry in my UEFI boot menu, which allowed me to boot directly into my system. I ran "eliloconfig" and when it asked if I wanted it to replace the old elilo entry, I naturally answered in the affirmative to make sure that I didn't experience the same problem again. After a reboot, elilo booted up without a hitch, but I was expecting rEFInd. I can confirm that rEFInd is still installed, but none of the commands listed on the rEFInd homepage seem available to me:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Code: Select all

$ mkrlconf                                                                                                                                                                                                
bash: mkrlconf: command not found
$ sudo mkrlconf 
sudo: mkrlconf: command not found
$ refind-mkdefault
bash: refind-mkdefault: command not found
$ sudo refind-mkdefault
sudo: refind-mkdefault: command not found
How do I get rEFInd back?
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: rEFInd commands not available.

Post by mimosa »

If you reinstall it (slapt-get -i --reinstall refind) that will probably do it.

As per the instructions on the wiki for a kernel upgrade, when running eliloconfig, answer yes to the first question and no to the second:
https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_in ... _UEFI_boot
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

I wasn't aware I was doing a kernel upgrade, just trying to get megasync to work. I was asked if I had upgraded the system, so I did.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The same principle applies whatever your reason for updating the bootloader. If you say yes to the second question, you will get Elilo booting just Salix.

Did you try reinstalling refind?

You may also want to take a look at Guefi. I can't remember if it is installed as standard.

EDIT "Upgrading the system" has nothing to do with the bootloader. The only normal reason to do anything to it is if you have made a change to how you will boot into your system, for example, you installed a different kernel or created an initrd. You don't have to run eliloconfig every time you update your packages, if that is what you are thinking.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

mimosa wrote: 14. Mar 2018, 14:11 The same principle applies whatever your reason for updating the bootloader. If you say yes to the second question, you will get Elilo booting just Salix.

Did you try reinstalling refind?
Yes, with Sourcery, but refind wasn't set as default boot manager for some reason. A retry with

sudo spi -i refind
did work.
mimosa wrote: 14. Mar 2018, 14:11You may also want to take a look at Guefi. I can't remember if it is installed as standard.
It is, thank you.
mimosa wrote: 14. Mar 2018, 14:11EDIT "Upgrading the system" has nothing to do with the bootloader. The only normal reason to do anything to it is if you have made a change to how you will boot into your system, for example, you installed a different kernel or created an initrd. You don't have to run eliloconfig every time you update your packages, if that is what you are thinking.
I have tried to go through the logs, but couldn't find anything. However, I also went through the terminal cache and can confirm that the only command that I ran before I rebooted was:

$ sudo slapt-get --upgrade
I didn't go through any of the steps mentioned on:
https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_in ... _UEFI_boot
yet, when I rebooted, there was no elilo and no refind. I was only saved because refind had added a boot menu item in the UEFI system boot menu.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

You said in your first post above that you ran eliloconfig. That was apparently the cause of your "losing" refind. So there are two points to note.

First, you don't need to run eliloconfig unless you changed your kernel. You might go for many months without doing so.

Second, if you are using refind, as it says in the instructions about changing your kernel, answer yes to the first question and no to the second. Refind will still be there when you reboot.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Ahh. Thank you.
----
However, I do wonder why after upgrading, neither elilo nor refind could boot the system. I had to avail myself of a menu item in the UEFI boot menu to actually boot the system, so when the system booted, running eliloconfig was the first thing that I did. At the time, I wasn't aware of eliloconfig overwriting refind if I answered yes to the second question.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

eliloconfig configures elilo. You were booting Salix with elilo, ignoring refind. refind passes the baton to the option you select, whether that is elilo, Grub, Windows ... or a newly plugged device or drive it has never seen before.

I mentioned Guefi above because it's a nice graphical tool designed to fix such muddles - I forgot about it when I suggested reinstalling refind (there is a special Salix package for it set up as needed for Salix, with graphics to match).

The hope is that this way of doing things should mean you can boot whatever OS you want without having to give it any thought: just install refind as soon as you've installed Salix, and you should be good to go.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Thank you for the information mimosa. My question still stands, as my experiencing no elilo or refind to boot the system was after I upgraded the system, but before I rebooted and ran "eliloconfig". I only insist on pursuing this issue, because it has me concerned and a tiny bit spooked. It would be nice to know the cause, to avoid it in the future and put my mind at ease about the stability of my system.
----
The initial reboot after upgrading (and nothing else) was:

elilo.........................................................................................................................................................................................................
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

There's really no way to work out what may have caused that, but it is likely it is something you did. It works now, and if you leave it alone, should continue to do so.

I suggest you make a refind usb stick (link in my last post in the very long thread) as an easy recovery tool in case of need.