Acer Aspire One 725 netbook and Salix64 core install.

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
globetrotterdk

Acer Aspire One 725 netbook and Salix64 core install.

Post by globetrotterdk »

I would like to install Salix64 core on my Acer Aspire One 725 netbook and then add X and i3wm. There are a couple of potential issues that I need to prepare for first:

Networking
I am planning on using Wicd when I get X and i3wm installed, but what do I set the network as in netconfig - DHCP or NetworkManager?

I have a wireless card that uses the broadcom-sta SlackBuild, which I have already built on another X86_64 computer using the IFNAME=wlan ./broadcom-sta.SlackBuild parameter. Are there any problems using this SlackBuild?

i3wm
I have i3wm and other packages precompiled on another X86_64 computer. Are there any problems using these rather than using spi? I am thinking in particular with regards to the system registering the packages as I would just be using installpkg rather than spi or one of the other Salix specific tools.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Acer Aspire One 725 netbook and Salix64 core install.

Post by mimosa »

You're likely to have a much smoother ride if you do a full install, install Wicd, and then switch from XFCE to your minimalist WM of choice. Again, unless you have a specific reason to use your own build of i3wm, you are likely to find things go more smoothly by sticking with what's provided.

If you are installing your own packages, I would recommend using spkg.

As for the networking issue, is there any reason not to rebuild the package? You don't say anything about this "other computer", but presumably it isn't running Salix 14.2.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

mimosa wrote: 30. Mar 2018, 14:38 You're likely to have a much smoother ride if you do a full install, install Wicd, and then switch from XFCE to your minimalist WM of choice. Again, unless you have a specific reason to use your own build of i3wm, you are likely to find things go more smoothly by sticking with what's provided.
Thanks for the quick reply mimosa. I tried this with both a full Slackware install and a Slackware install without KDE, neither worked for my purposes. I unfortunately need specific software (Vivaldi browser, MuseScore) with specific capabilities (MIDI) that are largely impossible to replace. Therefore I need to reduce the amount of resources that the system uses. The alternative is audio and video lag, skipping, reloading that I can't live with. Experience (now) with both Slackware based and .deb distro based installs has taught me that I need to install i3wm from a core install, rather than from XFCE. Believe me, I would much prefer the other way :)
mimosa wrote: 30. Mar 2018, 14:38If you are installing your own packages, I would recommend using spkg.

As for the networking issue, is there any reason not to rebuild the package? You don't say anything about this "other computer", but presumably it isn't running Salix 14.2.
The computer that I used to build the packages is a tower computer running Slackware 14.2. The reason for this (as for installing a core system and then adding i3wm) is that the Acer Aspire One 725 is a netbook using an AMD C60 CPU and a Radeon HD 6290 GPU. The hard disk is relatively small and I am trying to save /tmp space as well.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Things appear to work pretty well so far. I have X up and running with i3. Unfortunately, I have received a couple of errors trying to start Vivaldi browser. The one I sorted out myself, but I am stuck with a libgconf-2.so.4 dependency. There are a number of candidates that pop up when using spi to search, but I am unsure as to which one to install.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

globetrotterdk wrote:I would like to install Salix64 core on my Acer Aspire One 725 netbook and then add X and i3wm.
You are going to be installing more than just X and i3c. There is audio for one. I would think that your better off starting with Basic, add i3 and your other applications. As you know there may be some dependency hunting with full Salix install, and more if you use Basic and even more if you start with Core. Before I recommended (on the Slackware forum) the Salix Basic install I tried it out on VM. Building i3 from SBO (using spi ) I ran into a couple of missing dependencies:

Code: Select all

perl-common-sense
xcb-util-cursor
I would think starting from Basic there will be several more.
globetrotterdk wrote:I am planning on using Wicd when I get X and i3wm installed, but what do I set the network as in netconfig - DHCP or NetworkManager?
I would select NetworkManger, but in the end I don't think it matters.
globetrotterdk wrote:I have a wireless card that uses the broadcom-sta SlackBuild, which I have already built on another X86_64 computer using the IFNAME=wlan ./broadcom-sta.SlackBuild parameter. Are there any problems using this SlackBuild?
There shouldn’t be a problem as long as the package was built on Slackware 14.2 with the same kernel version.( latest is 4.4.118)
globetrotterdk wrote:I have i3wm and other packages precompiled on another X86_64 computer. Are there any problems using these rather than using spi? I am thinking in particular with regards to the system registering the packages as I would just be using installpkg rather than spi or one of the other Salix specific tools.
Again if the package was built on Salix / Slackware 14.2 with the same kernel then there should’t be a problem. As for installing the package Salix has spkg. It just a wrapper script for installpkg and removepkg. However you can use installpkg.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

laprjns wrote: 30. Mar 2018, 17:13 You are going to be installing more than just X and i3c. There is audio for one. I would think that your better off starting with Basic, add i3 and your other applications. As you know there may be some dependency hunting with full Salix install, and more if you use Basic and even more if you start with Core.
Hi laprjns. I tried Basic. It didn't work. I got the same stuttering/lag/reloading of the audio and video as with a full Slackware install. It doesn't look like this is going to work. I can build up from core, but I suspect that with audio needing to be added, which I suspected, the system will again be going over that invisible overhead which the netbook can't handle with the software that I need. It isn't easy to replace the MIDI capabilities that I need for playing back music scores or MIDI keyboard connectivity. I had hoped that I could use this netbook for when I am already lugging saxophones, keyboard, music stand, etc. but it just won't work - at least not with a Slackware base. It works fine with a minimal Devuan base, but I guess Slackware just can't be applied as flexibly...

BTW, I have i3wm up and running on my other computer systems running a Slackware based system. The dependencies after they have been built are as follows:
  • dmenu
    libev-4.24
    libxkbcommon-0.7.1
    perl-AnyEvent-7.14
    perl-JSON-XS-3.04
    xcb-util-xrm-1.2
    yajl-2.1.0
    i3lock-2.10
    i3blocks-1.4
    i3-4.14.1
My experience is that it is best to install them in that order.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

There is no difference between running a lightweight wm in basic and full (or for that matter, core) once you have added the components needed to make it work. It just may be harder to get your system set up.

In particular, if you install Full, and run i3 or whatever else, just because Full includes all the components of XFCE, that doesn't mean you are running i3 on top of those. They are simply installed software that is present. On the WM front, you have already achieved all the saving you can just by running a lightweight one (though some are lighter than others).
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

So maybe the problem is with pulseaudio. Give Salix full a try and remove pulsesudio following these instructions.
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... -417559773
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

OK, I am giving a Salix64 full install a try, however, I have run into a problem with i3wm. i3 is giving me an error when trying to start it for some reason:

i3: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-cursor.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I haven't been able to find a solution.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Install xcb-util-cursor

$ sudo spi -i xcb-util-cursor