Is slapt-get required in Salix?

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
acme

Is slapt-get required in Salix?

Post by acme »

I prefer using sbopkg. Would it be safe to remove slapt-get and just install, remove, upgrade, ect with pkgtools and sbopkg?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Is slapt-get required in Salix?

Post by mimosa »

I suggest you have a look at Chapter Three of the Salix Startup Guide (link on the homepage) which covers package management.

You can go your own way if you like, but you will be losing out on much of what Salix has to offer over Slackware. It could be summed up as convenience, and if that isn't what you're looking for, you probably might as well stick with Slack.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

I would add: why do you prefer sbopkg? My guess is that you are just more acquainted with it, so reading the relevant part of the Salix Startup Guide so you know which features slapt-get gives you that are not available from sbopk is indeed a good advice.

In any case, there is no need to remove slapt-get just because you use another tool, they won't interfere as long as you use only one.

Didier
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

slapt-get and sbopkg are not equivalent. They do not perform the same functions. So it doesn't make sense to replace one with the other. Since you're asking that question, it means you don't understand what at least one of them does.

You certainly could opt out of using slapt-get and replacing it with a combination of wget/curl and pkgtools, but it would be an attempt at futility. Then again, you could also replace your keyboard with an on/off switch that will send binary code straight to the kernel. I guess some people would be into that.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Also

Code: Select all

man slapt-get
man spi