xmission.com mirror down due to hardware maintenance

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
gaucho
Donor

xmission.com mirror down due to hardware maintenance

Post by gaucho »

Hello,

The xmission.com mirror (U.S. -- Salt Lake City, Utah) is currently down due to hardware maintenance. They expect the server to be down for "the next few days." One of xmission's customer service representatives confirmed this via a live chat session.

I've been having trouble connecting to the mirror the past day or so, and I decided to contact the company to see if they could provide an explanation. (I was a bit surprised by the outage because xmission has performed reliably for me.)

HTH. :)
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: xmission.com mirror down due to hardware maintenance

Post by mimosa »

Thanks very much for the report.

Affected users can use reposetup to switch if needed.
Luffy

Post by Luffy »

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our mirror.

UPDATE: 2018-04-26: We have rebuilt a new storage server for our mirrors with new drives and a new ZFS pool. The prior pool was corrupted due to faulty hardware and a rare ZFS on Linux 0.6.5.6 bug shipped with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Instead of using the Ubuntu packages, we are building the SPL/ZFS kernel modules from source, and using the latest version, which is 0.7.8. Ubuntu and Debian have been prioritized for getting synchronized first, and are currently in progress. Please stay tuned, and thank you for your patience.

Our ZFS pool that stores the mirrors lost a drive, and replacing the drive led to some technical problems, likely related to faulty RAM modules. Our system administrators are currently working on the problem, and will have mirrors.xmission.com back up soon. Please update your systems using a different mirror, and check back with us later.
Para la arquitectura x86 (32-bit), no hay nada por actualizar, Espero.
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

mimosa wrote: 26. Apr 2018, 08:10 Affected users can use reposetup to switch if needed.
Hi, mimosa,

Thank you for the reminder about reposetup; it has been a while since I've used it and I had forgotten about it.

If you need help deciding which repository to choose, there is a helpful resource available here:

http://salixos.org/mirmon.html
Salix mirrors Status page

Hi, Luffy,

Thanks for posting the more detailed explanation of what happened with xmission's mirror(s). I dug a bit more within the company's website and noticed that they have a Twitter feed where they post system status updates:

https://twitter.com/xmissionstatus
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

The heanet.ie mirror in Ireland has also had hardware problems and has been out for a while. They are currently rebuilding the mirror.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

xmission is back up.