Kontact & luckybackup on Salix

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
annie

Kontact & luckybackup on Salix

Post by annie »

I have been using Debian / Ubuntu flavors for a few years now and have always wanted to try Slackware flavor. Since I like most of KDE software I first tried slackel but I had major problems with internet not working. So now trying to use salix and I like most things about it but I do not know how to install my Kontact. I can live without konqueror and other KDE stuff (maybe) but I am kinda lost without Kontact. Not very good at line commands, learning but I work a lot of hours. I been "duck duck going" (googling) for a day and 1/2 now. I tried to use the Sourcery and the (synapic like) package manager but they found nothing. The other must have is luckybackup and I fund it in Sourcery but when I tried to install it I got an error "luckybackup.slackBuild: line 85: qmake: not found" whatever that is. I love the look and layout of Salix and would like to keep using it so any help would be grate. Note I may be away from computer for a day or so do to my job but will check back as soon as I can. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Kontact & luckybackup on Salix

Post by mimosa »

You probably need to install most of KDE to get Kontact, and there is no harm in doing so assuming you have given your installation plenty of room. From the command line:

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get --install-set kde
It is probably possible to install a smaller subset of that long list of packages, but this is the most straightforward way.

slapt-src / Sourcery sometimes requires a bit of tweaking, and your best starting-point is any error messages. In this case you are missing qmake, not required to run the application, but needed to build it. So just install that and try again.

Please do have a look at the Salix Startup Guide if you haven't already, link from the homepage, especially chapter three on package management.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

kontact is in the kdepim package, but as mimosa said, you'd better install the entire kde set.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

You need qt installed to use qmake.
But there is here since 2016 the latest package for luckybackup.
Just install it and see if it works.
annie

Post by annie »

I am still away from the computer I am trying to install them on and looks like I'll be another week away. I will be following up all all your good advice as soon as I can. Just wanted to drop in to say I did read it and thanks.