Problem with scanner Epson Perfection V39

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
yves04
Donor

Problem with scanner Epson Perfection V39

Post by yves04 »

Hi all
Very happy to have installed Salix on my old Macbook (12 years old). All the hardware has been recognised exept the scanner.
This scanner Epson Perfection V39 works on linux MX (Debian like) with the package I found on Epson site.
From Salix I´ve converted the packages .deb then installpkg for
iscan-data_1.36.0-1_all.tgz
iscan_2.30.2-2_amd64.tgz
iscan-plugin-gt-s650_1.1.0-2_amd64.tgz
And now :
#scanimage -L returns
device `epson:libusb:003:004' is a Epson flatbed scanner
but
#scanimage -T returns
scanimage: rounded value of br-x from -32768 to -32768
scanimage: rounded value of br-y from -32768 to -32768
scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
I don´t know how to solve this problem.
Has anybody the slightest idea ?
Thanks a lot
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Problem with scanner Epson Perfection V39

Post by mimosa »

"Converting" packages from other distributions like that is unlikely to work in most cases.

I don't know if it will help, but these are available from SBo:

Code: Select all

iscan-firmware [Not installed]: iscan-firmware (firmware files for EPSON USB scanners)
iscan-proprietary-drivers [Not installed]: iscan-proprietary-drivers (binary-only drivers for EPSON USB scanners)
It may be worth having a look there for further information.
yves04
Donor

Post by yves04 »

Hello mimosa
Thanks for your quick answer
First I´ve removed the packages coming from .deb
Afterwards I´ve installed the two packages you told me.
No change
scanimage -L
device `epson:libusb:003:004' is a Epson flatbed scanner
root[tux]# scanimage -T
scanimage: rounded value of br-x from -32768 to -32768
scanimage: rounded value of br-y from -32768 to -32768
scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
Maybe I have to compare the files in /etc/sane.d with the same files in the other linux partition
I´ve not enough knowledge to go further than that !
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Have you tried simple-scan?
yves04
Donor

Post by yves04 »

When I type
$simple-scan
the return is
** (simple-scan:1537): WARNING **: Unable to start device: Invalid argument
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Looks like you don't need to bother about this package, because your scanner is not listed:
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2 ... y-drivers/
Here, see the instructions:
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2 ... -firmware/

It may also be that you need a more recent version of the firmware.

However, if you search for your scanner model and xsane or simple-scan, you will see others have had trouble too. If the above doesn't work, more digging may be required.
galmei

Post by galmei »

Hello yves04.

The scanner is probably supported by the backend epkowa, even if it is not explicitly mentioned. If this backend is installed, in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf the text epkowa must be entered directly after epson in own line. If that is not enough then changes are still needed in /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf. It may then be necessary to add or modify the idVendor and idProduct details of the scanner in accordance with this pattern:

usb idVendor idProduct
Especially without supplement in dll.conf nothing works. Older IScan versions require the assignment of rights. Newer versions of IScan set up Udev rules, so rights no longer need to be assigned. After the installation must always be booted.

Help can be obtained via:

scanimage --help -d epkowa
The correct call is either:

scanimage -d epkowa "here further arguments"
or according to the pattern:

scanimage -d epkowa:/dev/[usbscanner0] "here further arguments"
Where usbscanner0 must be replaced by the correct driver name.

If these errors still occur with these calls, then the backend is not installed. A backend is included in SBO, but very old. Much better comes the package version 2.30.1, by Alien Bob:
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/iscan/

I would install this. I do not know if the firmware package is included. Maybe even the old package, from the SBO sources, is sufficient.

Also worth reading: https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175587194/

Well done, but did not have time to read everything:
http://www.giustetti.net/wiki/index.php ... kware_14.2
http://www.giustetti.net/wiki/index.php ... are_64_bit

If the IScan firmware has been installed, be sure to read and follow: /usr/doc/iscan-firmware-[*]/README.Slackware

Btw: a general test call is:

scanimage -d test -T
yves04
Donor

Post by yves04 »

Thank you galmel and mimosa for your answers.
I´m trying to improve the situation with the help of your ideas.
This morning I´ve installed iscan-date, iscan ans iscan-plugin-gt-s650 from
iscan-gt-s650-bundle-1.0.1.x64.rpm.tar.gz
Now #scanimage -L returns
[bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: ERROR - bind socket to local address failed - Cannot assign requested address
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname Built-in iSight virtual device
device `epkowa:usb:001:003' is a Epson (unknown model) flatbed scanner
device `epkowa:interpreter:001:003' is a Epson (unknown model) flatbed scanner
device `epson:libusb:001:003' is a Epson flatbed scanner
I´m totally at a loss but I´m still hoping to have my f... scanner recognised !
Have a nice day and happy Christmas for all
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I don't have any further specific suggestions except the reminder that installing things packaged for other distros is unlikely to work. It can also be helpful to take a really scientific approach, because if you have the remnants of unsuccessful changes lying around, it may interfere with the next thing.

galmel has given you some leads to explore (that alienbob package looks particularly promising to me), but as a first step, I'd get rid of all that .rpm stuff. Then maybe before you get on to that exploration, you might want to check out the instructions from SBo, as I suggested before. One thing at a time. It's probably a long shot, but it makes sense to at least rule out the "official" solution before venturing further afield, and that means making sure you have fully followed the instructions.

I should say that unfortunately, this does just seem to be an area that is not terribly well supported, in any distro, not just Slackware.

One thing that can work, though it is obviously not good practice is to call the scanner utility as root. I expect you have seen that while researching the issue.
galmei

Post by galmei »

mimosa, in its first attempt, yves04 converted a DEB package into a TGZ package. I do not know if it gives a useful result. It does not look that way. It is better to use packages from the Slackware universe, as we know. But the IScan packages from SBo are also a problem. Both are RPM packages. Also for these I have doubts about the success of the package conversion. For example, both scripts contain a call to the program rpm2cpio, which is not preinstalled. Also, in these packages I can not find any indication of the epkowa backend.

yves04, the package from alienbob is made for Slackware and will hardly cause any problems. It definitely contains the necessary libraries and all other needed files in the right places in the file system. All that remains is a bit of work on the configuration. However, you may also need the two packages iscan-data and iscan-network-nt (http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbu ... k-required). Maybe mimosa can write something clarifying.

So if you want to use the package from alienbob, you must first remove the copied or installed files from the RPM package as completely as possible, as mimosa has already written. After downloading the package, the test installation call is:

sudo upgradepkg --dry-run --install-new iscan-2.30.1-x86_64-1alien.tgz
If everything is fine, omit the option '--dry-run'.
Then adjust /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. Then boot. If that's not enough, adjust /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf and boot again.

If you do not want to do that, look at the install script from the alienbob package. The script shows all operations on the file system and files. Just as the script sets up the permissions and links, it must also look for manual attempts.

--
yves04 wrote: 24. Dec 2018, 09:49I´m totally at a loss but I´m still hoping to have my f... scanner recognised
The scanner was already detected, but a connection to a socket could not be made. Already the root state alone could be responsible, but also faulty file permissions.
yves04 wrote: 24. Dec 2018, 09:49device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname Built-in iSight virtual device
Where does that come from? Did you specify a wrong USB vendor id or product id? Or is a video camera connected?