How to create menu item /desktop link?

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Smooey

How to create menu item /desktop link?

Post by Smooey »

Hi all, new to Salix (Slackware in general), and I must say that I'm loving it so far! Besides MX 18, Salix is probably the only other one I managed to install Brave Browser in.. Lol! I noticed someone has an old Muon copy of Brave in the repos, but it's now been changed to https://github.com/brave/brave-browser for latest stable version of Brave.

Which is what I installed by downloading their latest RPM package, and used "rpm2tgz" and installed Brave that way Salix. However, it doesn't show up in main menu like Firefox does and other programs. I don't see the Brave Icon beside "Brave" in menu. It does come up with "application finder" though. Has a box icon with stuff inside the box. Right clicking on it, it's path says: /usr/bin/brave-browser-stable %U

With "no icon", clicking on that button pops up for icons in system but can't find Brave's icon. For name it says: "Brave Web Browser" and Comment: "Access the Internet". So did I miss a step with building / installing the package for Brave? If so what did I forget or how to get it listed in menu > Internet > Brave with icon beside it like Firefox and other programs have?

I'm generally a guy that investigates, vets, and googles for answers, and tried that but this has me stumped lol.
Smooey

Re: How to create menu item /desktop link?

Post by Smooey »

Update, running it from terminal launches it... but get some errors? This is just test install in virtual box.

Code: Select all

t[bin]$ brave-browser-stable
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 102: unknown element "blank"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/66-wqy-zenhei-sharp-no13px.conf", line 11: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/66-wqy-zenhei-sharp.conf", line 10: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
[1732:1732:1227/033635.036317:ERROR:browser_dm_token_storage_linux.cc(93)] Error: /etc/machine-id contains 0 characters (32 were expected).
[1732:1760:1227/033636.093316:ERROR:rewards_service_impl.cc(141)] Failed to read file: /home/dt/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/ledger_state
[1732:1732:1227/033636.440108:ERROR:x11_input_method_context_impl_gtk.cc(144)] Not implemented reached in virtual void libgtkui::X11InputMethodContextImplGtk::SetSurroundingText(const base::string16 &, const gfx::Range &)
[1732:1732:1227/033636.700569:ERROR:gpu_process_transport_factory.cc(967)] Lost UI shared context.
[1:8:1227/033637.708951:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(124)] ContextResult::kTransientFailure: Failed to send GpuChannelMsg_CreateCommandBuffer.
[1732:1732:1227/033637.961469:ERROR:CONSOLE(1)] "Uncaught ReferenceError: brave_new_tab is not defined", source: chrome://newtab/ (1)
Update 2: After running that in terminal, I noticed it listed in Menu > Internet. Just don't see icon there though yet, so rebooting to see if it's there then. (No there's no icon for it, and not sure to put it if I found it). Not sure about the errors above there, if I'm missing something or need to make some adjustments to files... Or maybe it's error with Brave and should be reported to Brave devs.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Your mileage may vary with "converting" packages from other distros. Maybe it will help to run:

gtk-update-icon-cache
Your best bet could be to rebuild with more recent source (however, it should be noted this looks like beta, and the one you have is not that old). To do this, download all files from here into a directory (see "individual files" at bottom of page):
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/brave/
and also the most recent source (Brave.tar.bz2):
https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/releases/
Edit the version number in the SlackBuild accordingly (line 26 or thereabouts of the file) replacing:

VERSION=${VERSION:-0.25.2}
with

VERSION=${VERSION:-0.25.304}
depending on which version you choose, then rebuild the package:

fakeroot sh ./brave.SlackBuild
and install it:

sudo spkg /tmp/brave-0.25.304-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz
Smooey

Post by Smooey »

Thanks for your reply, maybe I can use those you told me about to help create a proper updated version of Brave then. The one in the repo you linked is the old Muon version and everyone is being prompted to upgrade to newest version (Chromium based) so users can install extensions, etc. Then they'll work their design into the newer "chromium based" versions.

https://brave.com/brave-upgrades/
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/ ... e-Schedule
Latest /newest: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases

brave-laptop = oldest / Muon / no longer going to be supported. Or unless the guy that handled the repo you linked could update it, then I wouldn't have to. :P

Thanks for your reply! :)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Ah, I see this is what you are after, apologies for not reading more closely:
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases
I'm afraid packaging that is a bit more complex than just re-running the script from Slackbuilds.org with updated source. It may be that the author will get round to it himself at some point.

Apart from the icon issue (have you tried updating the cache?), does the version you have appear to work ok? Those messages are not necessarily anything to worry about - though they may be.
Smooey

Post by Smooey »

Thanks for reply again. :) Yeah I tried doing your instructions above there, but instead of using that guy's Brave.tar.bz2 from brave's github, I put the file name in for: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/ ... .18.tar.gz Well, just brave-browser-0.58.18.tar.gz. But doing that build thing you said gave error about cannot stat the "brave-linux-x64/*" folder. Which to me, shouldn't matter cause his download file and mine don't have a "brave-linux-x64" folder in them. It should create the directory itself... >_>

Oh wait, his Brave.tar.bz2 file DOES have that folder "brave-linux-x64" in it.. lol. I'll check what mine has once and update script again.

I have all those files in the Downloads folder.

#!/bin/sh

# Slackware build script for brave

# Copyright 2018 Donald Cooley South Haven, Indiana USA
# All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use of this script, with or without modification, is
# permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
#
# 1. Redistributions of this script must retain the above copyright
#    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#
#  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
#  WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
#  MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO
#  EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
#  SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
#  PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;
#  OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
#  WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
#  OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
#  ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

PRGNAM=brave
VERSION=${VERSION:-0.58.18}
BUILD=${BUILD:-1}
TAG=${TAG:-_SBo}

if [ -z "$ARCH" ]; then
  case "$( uname -m )" in
    i?86) ARCH=i586 ;;
    arm*) ARCH=arm ;;
    *) ARCH=$( uname -m ) ;;
  esac
fi

CWD=$(pwd)
TMP=${TMP:-/tmp/SBo}
PKG=$TMP/package-$PRGNAM
OUTPUT=${OUTPUT:-/tmp}

# Abort build if architecture is not 64-bit.
if [ "$ARCH" != "x86_64" ]; then
  echo "$ARCH is not supported."
  exit 1
fi

set -e

rm -rf $PKG
mkdir -p $TMP $PKG $OUTPUT
cd $TMP
rm -rf $PRGNAM-$VERSION
mkdir -p $PRGNAM-$VERSION
tar -xvf $CWD/brave-browser-0.58.18.tar.gz -C $PRGNAM-$VERSION
cd $PRGNAM-$VERSION
chown -R root:root .
find -L . \
\( -perm 777 -o -perm 775 -o -perm 750 -o -perm 711 -o -perm 555 \
-o -perm 511 \) -exec chmod 755 {} \; -o \
\( -perm 666 -o -perm 664 -o -perm 640 -o -perm 600 -o -perm 444 \
-o -perm 440 -o -perm 400 \) -exec chmod 644 {} \;

# Install Brave in /opt
mkdir -p $PKG/opt/brave
cp -R brave-linux-x64/* $PKG/opt/brave

# Link Brave binary to /usr/bin
mkdir -p $PKG/usr/bin
ln -s /opt/brave/brave $PKG/usr/bin/brave

# Install .desktop file
mkdir -p $PKG/usr/share/applications
cp $CWD/$PRGNAM.desktop $PKG/usr/share/applications

# Install icon
mkdir -p $PKG/usr/share/pixmaps/
cp $CWD/brave.png $PKG/usr/share/pixmaps/brave.png

find $PKG -print0 | xargs -0 file | grep -e "executable" -e "shared object" | grep ELF \
	  | cut -f 1 -d : | xargs strip --strip-unneeded 2> /dev/null || true

mkdir -p $PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION
cat $CWD/$PRGNAM.SlackBuild > $PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/$PRGNAM.SlackBuild

mkdir -p $PKG/install
cat $CWD/slack-desc > $PKG/install/slack-desc
cat $CWD/doinst.sh > $PKG/install/doinst.sh

cd $PKG
/sbin/makepkg -l y -c n $OUTPUT/$PRGNAM-$VERSION-$ARCH-$BUILD$TAG.${PKGTYPE:-tgz}

I did that font-cache thing you said, and nope it doesn't do anything for the icon not displaying. I even installed Vivaldi and Vivaldi's icon doesn't display. But Opera's does, but I don't like Opera cause their snapshot feature only saves in PNG not JPG etc. I like Vivaldi's better. I tried Midori, but a few sites don't load at all, something about TLS can't connect or something.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Try:

sudo update-all
for the missing icon. It might be the xfce icon cache needs to be updated, in which case this will help. If there is simply no icon in the package, it won't.
Smooey

Post by Smooey »

That worked, and might have been combination of that and the other guy's suggestion. Cause after I ran both commands from you both, it didn't show up in menu... but then I logged out and back in again, then Vivaldi's icon is there. I removed Brave a while ago though, and kinda giving up on it for time being. If I decide to be brave again, I'll try installing Brave again. lmao

On topic of "privacy" related browsers, what goods ones you suggest?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Smooey wrote: 27. Dec 2018, 13:36 the other guy's suggestion.
No, that was just wrong. You probably have to reboot (or log in and out) for the changes to be registered. Full disclosure: I am running Salix with ratpoison, so I don't actually have any icons.

By the way, you may want to have a look at the Salix User Guide (linked from the homepage) especially chapter 3 on package management. The Guide is not fully up to date but remains informative for new Salix users.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Smooey wrote: 27. Dec 2018, 13:36 On topic of "privacy" related browsers, what goods ones you suggest?
Honestly, firefox. With the right settings I don't see anything else being better in any respect. Here's an article to get you started:
https://restoreprivacy.com/firefox-privacy/