Trying to install Salix on Lenovo 330

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
rsgangr

Trying to install Salix on Lenovo 330

Post by rsgangr »

Good day to all,

I am trying to install Linux in dual-boot mode on a new Lenovo 330 15IKB and Salix 14.2 is my preferred distribution.

Boot Mode is "UEFI" and I set Secure Boot to "Disabled". It boots USB live versions of both MX Linux and Xubuntu. However, the Salix Live USB fails to boot and displays error messages, ending with:

"Fatal Server Error:
(EE) no screens found (EE)
(EE) Please check the log files at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file."

When I exit from the error messages Salix live goes to the command line and I can log in as user "one" with password "one". However, root login is disabled as indicated in the "relinfo.msg" file on the LIVE USB.

Regardless of whether the Salix USB is prepared ...
(a) from Salix by "install_on_usb.sh" or "dd"
(b) from Windows with Rufus "ISO image mode" or "DD image mode"
... the boot process terminates with the same error.

I shall appreciate receiving any advice on this problem.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Trying to install Salix on Lenovo 330

Post by gapan »

I'm afraid your laptop is too new for Salix 14.2. The graphics card it includes is probably not supported by the kernel present in 14.2. I think you probably need at least kernel 4.10 for that graphics card (the internet tells me it's an Intel UHD Graphics 620). Unfortunately we're going to have these kinds of problems until the next version of Slackware is released.

There are ways to (possibly) make it work, but it will need some terminal work, which I'm not sure you would want to do.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

That's why in Slint64-14.2.1.2 I will ship a kernel 4.19.x, as well as in the installer, with no issue so far, although this version be still based on Slackware version 14.2. I volunteer to help doing that in Salix.

Best,
rsgangr

Post by rsgangr »

Thank you, gapan, for the very quick reply.

Yes, I was wondering whether the machine might be too new for the current Slackware kernel. Unfortunately my old HP8510w "died" and could not be repaired, hence my having to replace it.

Fortunately I shall not be Salix-free as I have two other machines running 14.2 !!!
malecite

Post by malecite »

Hey, I am not sure if this would help. I am really not an expert. So you may disregard my message. But, I am using Lenovo ideapad 330 with Salix live 14.2.1 x86_64 installation version and it works fine. Though, i am not running a dual booth system. Graphics are running perfectly fine, but my touchpad is not registered, and i have some glitches with the mic and my wifi. Other than that it's a stable Salix as I know it.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

DidierSpaier wrote: 8. Mar 2019, 17:04 That's why in Slint64-14.2.1.2 I will ship a kernel 4.19.x, as well as in the installer, with no issue so far, although this version be still based on Slackware version 14.2. I volunteer to help doing that in Salix.

Best,
I'm thinking of releasing updated 14.2 isos, since slackware doesn't seem to be any closer to a 15 release and 14.2 as it is is getting rather old, so that would be nice. ;)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Likewise, anything I can do. But does this mean updating all Salix packages to the latest available releases? I'd always assumed that was the case and the main reason to hold off.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote: 9. Mar 2019, 14:11 Likewise, anything I can do. But does this mean updating all Salix packages to the latest available releases? I'd always assumed that was the case and the main reason to hold off.
No, definitely not all. But certainly some important ones, like end-user applications on the iso.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Yes, gapan! An updated .iso with updated kernel and updated programs on iso (claws-mail etc...) sounds great. :) Will also allow for some much needed attention on distrowatch, not that we care, but it looks good. :) Will also be a nice post on LQ that not only is Slackware not dead but neither is Salix. :mrgreen:
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

... since slackware doesn't seem to be any closer to a 15 release...
I'm putting running 15 on my bucket list. Maybe this way I'll live forever. :)
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"