Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
kenizl86

Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

Post by kenizl86 »

I have an old 2006 Macbook Pro A1181 laptop I've been trying to get up and running for a while. I've tried many options (Fedora, Bunsen Labs, Vector Linux, Porteus, ToriOS and Salix), but none would install properly. After install, the mac would sit there, flashing a folder with a question-mark. Porteus worked amazingly in live, but I couldn't seem to install it (it recommended installing something else for a permanent OS anyway); and Fedora I got to work but only after doing a lot of extra work. However, I wanted a low-resource system so I figured I'd give Slackware a try.

Which finally leads me to where I'm at now. The install for Salix ran smoothly, but after install, the system won't boot. It gets to LILO, and then Salix starts up the kernel, until I get this:

Code: Select all

[ 7.422388] Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
Salix is installed in a 155GB partition, there is a Swap partition at 1GB, LILO was installed to the MBR, and the Full install option was chosen for the Salix system.

I've looked online, and from what I can see, there are a lot of differing variations and answers to this problem. However, none seemed to match my exact use case. Any ideas?

Here's the picture of what I could capture: Image
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

Post by gapan »

I'm not at all certain that LILO can boot a macbook. Doesn't yours have EFI? I think that they all do. In which case, I think you need something like rEFIt to boot it: http://refit.sourceforge.net/

And then probably chainload elilo after rEFIt.
kenizl86

Post by kenizl86 »

LILO seemed to at least hand off the OS properly (or try to, as the crash happens after the LILO boot), but perhaps you're right. I'll definitely give rEFIt a try, as I've seen it suggested here and there. Would rEFInd work as well?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I'm guessing it would.