GMountMan not getting data

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Kimdino
Donor

GMountMan not getting data

Post by Kimdino »

Hi folks,

I recently stumbled across GMountMan and think it looks like a useful tool. However, on startup it comes up with an empty display and only the 'About', 'Preferences' & 'Close' buttons enabled. It is as if I have no volumes on my computer which is, of course, completely wrong. I actually have two hard drives holding eight partition, two DVD writers + various other removable card readers.

I am far from expert in Python, but I drilled down through the source code into the gio.VolumeMonitor API where details of the actual workings became quite sparse. I assume it uses '/etc/fstab' and '/proc/mounts', which both appear to be perfectly sane & readable. I get an impression that 'gvfs' is somewhere in between these levels, is that correct? Anyway 'gvfs' is installed and appears to be working okay.

My '~/.config/gmountman' is as follows:-
[Window]
width = 1344
height = 756

[Preferences]
filemanager = xdg-open
notifications = True

I am using Salix 14.2, originally XCFE version, but with KDE installed as my main DE. Can anyone help me get this useful looking tool working?
Cheers, Kimdino
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: GMountMan not getting data

Post by gapan »

Kimdino wrote: 26. May 2019, 01:39 Hi folks,

I recently stumbled across GMountMan and think it looks like a useful tool. However, on startup it comes up with an empty display and only the 'About', 'Preferences' & 'Close' buttons enabled. It is as if I have no volumes on my computer which is, of course, completely wrong. I actually have two hard drives holding eight partition, two DVD writers + various other removable card readers.
OK, but is there anything that is not an internal medium and you actually want to mount? gmountman supports external media only, like USB sticks, or DVDs. An empty DVD writer won't show up, if you put a disc with data in there, it should. Same for the card readers, they need to have a card inserted. Hard drive partitions are not supposed to show in there, especially if they are already handled by fstab.

In general, it should show exactly the same devices that appear as available in file managers such as thunar (Xfce) and caja (MATE).
Kimdino wrote: 26. May 2019, 01:39 I am using Salix 14.2, originally XCFE version, but with KDE installed as my main DE. Can anyone help me get this useful looking tool working?
Cheers, Kimdino
I don't think I have ever tried it under KDE, but it should work, if gvfs is working properly. But maybe KDE's own mounting system somehow interferes and doesn't let gvfs work.

In any case, try running gmountman from the command line and see if there are any errors.