Unable to start simple-scan as single user

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
laplume
Donor

Unable to start simple-scan as single user

Post by laplume »

Hello All,
I have recently installed salix 14.2 64 bit on a spare laptop which previously had Debian 9 xfce installed (disc is formatted with two partitions; one for system and one for /home).
Strangely when I try to run simple-scan system advise that the connected USB scanner device cannot be open (lsusb tells me that the device is correctly identified).
This is the output of the simple-scan log

Code: Select all

DEBUG: Starting Simple Scan 2.32.0.2, PID=3485
[+0,07s] DEBUG: Restoring window to 1280x737 pixels
[+0,07s] DEBUG: Restoring window to maximized
[+0,14s] DEBUG: sane_init () -> SANE_STATUS_GOOD
[+0,14s] DEBUG: SANE version 1.0.25
[+0,14s] DEBUG: Requesting redetection of scan devices
[+0,14s] DEBUG: Processing request
[+1,72s] DEBUG: Requesting scan at 300 dpi from device '(null)'
[+1,72s] DEBUG: scanner_scan ("(null)", 300, SCAN_SINGLE)
[+3,09s] DEBUG: sane_get_devices () -> SANE_STATUS_GOOD
[+3,09s] DEBUG: Device: name="v4l:/dev/video0" vendor="Noname" model="Integrated Camera" type="virtual device"
[+3,09s] DEBUG: Device: name="gt68xx:libusb:002:003" vendor="Mustek" model="Bearpaw 1200 CU Plus" type="flatbed scanner"
[+3,09s] DEBUG: Processing request
[+3,09s] DEBUG: sane_open ("gt68xx:libusb:002:003") -> SANE_STATUS_INVAL
[+3,09s] WARNING: Unable to get open device: Invalid argument
[+6,78s] DEBUG: Stopping scan thread
[+6,78s] DEBUG: Processing request
[+6,78s] DEBUG: sane_exit ()
I also checked in /etc/group and my user is present in the scanner group. The strange thing is that if I run
sudo simple-scan the application will just work flawlessly.Is there any setting I should modify to make the application run with single user?

Just fyi, I have same Salix version installed in dual boot in another laptop and in this case the application runs normally if launched by the user.

Any help is appreciated.
Regards,
Antonio
galmei

Re: Unable to start simple-scan as single user

Post by galmei »

laplume wrote: 9. May 2020, 11:39 I also checked in /etc/group and my user is present in the scanner group. The strange thing is that if I run
sudo simple-scan the application will just work flawlessly.Is there any setting I should modify to make the application run with single user?
Hello,

Please check if a file sbfw.usb exists in /usr/share/sane/gt68xx/ and which permissions are assigned. It is the scanner firmware. The file should be executable.
laplume
Donor

Post by laplume »

Hello gaimei,

You were correct. I located the file firmware file PS1Gfw.usb and chmod'd it. That fixed the issue. However, as far as I remember on the other laptop I just copied the file in the path /usr/share/sane/gt68xx/ and it worked without a hitch so I can't figure out why I had to change permissions n this case.
Anyway, it's working as expected now and that's what counts.
Thanks again.
Antonio
galmei

Post by galmei »

laplume wrote: 9. May 2020, 16:11 You were correct. I located the file firmware file PS1Gfw.usb and chmod'd it. That fixed the issue.
I'm glad to read it.

I had written down sbfw.usb and PS1fw.usb when I stumbled across this problem years ago. According to the manual page sane-gt68xx it could be any file name ending in .usb. The file permissions don't have to be set to executable, as I wrote by mistake, but only to readable for everyone.
laplume wrote: 9. May 2020, 16:11 However, as far as I remember on the other laptop I just copied the file in the path /usr/share/sane/gt68xx/ and it worked without a hitch so I can't figure out why I had to change permissions n this case.
One would have to find out how PS1Gfw.usb got on this "spare laptop". Libraries and other specific files for the GT68xx chipset are included in the SANE package. The file PS1Gfw.usb or PS1fw.usb as firmware file is probably owned by the manufacturer and is not part of the Salix distribution -- /usr/share/sane/gt68xx/ is empty in the SANE package. Probably this file comes from an installation CD or from a download.

The main thing is that it works now. Have fun with it!
laplume
Donor

Post by laplume »

Hello gaimei,

That's correct.I retrieved the .usb firmware file long ago from http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/gt68xx-backend/ : this has served me well for years since the manufacturer dropped driver support for windows back to the xp days (actually that was one of the reasons that made me successfully switch to Linux years ago :D).
Up to date thanks to Linux this scanner is still fully functional. Thumbs up!
Regards,
Antonio