Network Connections button missing

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
DrFreeman

Network Connections button missing

Post by DrFreeman »

Hello

I've run into a problem that I as a linux noob don't know how to solve. When you freshly install Salix there is Network Connections button on the main panel that allows you to search for wifi. After I installed and used Conky manager, Conky also reorganized my main panel for some reason so the button disappeared. I can add back Network Connections launcher on the panel but not the original button that has the right-click/left-click functionality.

Thanks in advance for any help.
galmei

Re: Network Connections button missing

Post by galmei »

DrFreeman wrote: 13. May 2020, 11:07 Hello

I've run into a problem that I as a linux noob don't know how to solve. When you freshly install Salix there is Network Connections button on the main panel that allows you to search for wifi. After I installed and used Conky manager, Conky also reorganized my main panel for some reason so the button disappeared. I can add back Network Connections launcher on the panel but not the original button that has the right-click/left-click functionality.
Hello,

this "Network Connections button" is the graphical appearance of the nm-applet that belongs to the NetworkManager.

One would have to investigate what is still running after the icon disappears from the NetworkManager and its accessories. For this purpose you check if the NetworkManager and the nm-applet are still in the process list. If the request in the forum was made via the computer with the affected Salix, then the NetworkManager is still running. But you can make sure with the following call:

Code: Select all

ps ax | grep NetworkManager
Then search for the nm-applet with:

Code: Select all

ps ax | grep nm-applet
My system language is not English and I am too sluggish to change it and put it back later. The following terms between << and >> are therefore freely translated by me, but probably understandable enough to be understood.

If the applet is missing in the list of active processes, check in <<Salix Menu/Settings/Session and Startup Behaviour/Automatically started applications>> whether the nm applet is included there as <<Network (management of network connections)>> and whether the checkbox for it is checked (with mouse-over, tooltip "command: nm-applet" is displayed). If the applet is listed but not checked, mark it, then close the window. As a precaution I would boot now and check afterwards if the problem is solved.

If the written is not enough, we will have to look further later.
DrFreeman

Post by DrFreeman »

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I checked it and both the Network Manager and the api were running the whole time. The api was also checked in the Spart-up options the whole time. If anyone is interested in how this happened I simply installed Conky manager using Gslapt and then ran the only default theme it has (the green apple theme)
DrFreeman

Post by DrFreeman »

I now realized that the whole "space" where the button used to be doesn't show up. In that space Salix also displays icon when you transfer files or when Gslapt can upgrade packages. These apis are also running but don't show up on the panel.
galmei

Post by galmei »

DrFreeman wrote: 13. May 2020, 21:51 I now realized that the whole "space" where the button used to be doesn't show up. In that space Salix also displays icon when you transfer files or when Gslapt can upgrade packages. These apis are also running but don't show up on the panel.
So probably covers of displayed objects.

Maybe you use Xfce. I couldn't get Conky on Xfce to work satisfactorily. On the desktop it didn't work at all and with its own window there were blind spots. But on the web you can find reports about successful installations. When searching the web with the search phrase "Conky Xfce" you will also find reports about successful configurations. On the other hand there should be little problems with Openbox, Gnome-2 and LXDE.

I don't want to do without Xfce and have therefore given up playing with Conky. Most of the time I also opened several format-filling application windows, so a well styled desktop makes no sense for me.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You probably accidentally removed the entire system tray area. Right click on the panel, select to add a new component, search for "notification area" or something like that and add it back.