Microphone not detected

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Tuntematon

Microphone not detected

Post by Tuntematon »

Hello

My Lenovo laptop double boots using Salix and Windows. For some reason in Salix built-in microphone isn't detected, while in Windows there are no problems. Camera works fine in both OS.

I have already checked pulseaudio to find some clues. I suppose I should see some mention on microphone in "Output devices" but there is nothing. I've made sure that mute is not on. I've visited some sites offering microphone detection help and they don't see my microphone connected.

Any ideas?

Thanks
galmei

Re: Microphone not detected

Post by galmei »

Tuntematon wrote: 29. May 2020, 09:44 Hello

[...]
I have already checked pulseaudio to find some clues. I suppose I should see some mention on microphone in "Output devices" but there is nothing. I've made sure that mute is not on.
Hello,

That looks good to me, because microphones are input devices, not output devices.

Under the Input Devices tab I can choose between 'Line input' and microphone. There is also a volume slider that allows you to mute the microphone. Have a look there.

Did you install the 'PulseAudio Panel Plugin'?
Tuntematon

Post by Tuntematon »

Thanks!

It seems to be working now! The funny thing is I was there before, saw microphone in input category and pressed mute on and off. I think I even tried the slidebar before, which now solved the problem. It looks like I was simply being careless.
galmei

Post by galmei »

Tuntematon wrote: 30. May 2020, 10:20 It seems to be working now! The funny thing is I was there before, saw microphone in input category and pressed mute on and off. I think I even tried the slidebar before, which now solved the problem. It looks like I was simply being careless.
In the various Salix 14.2 installations that I have done, this 'PulseAudio Panel Plugin' has been a nuisance in its behaviour immediately after it was set up in the panel. Right after setting up the plugin, something was not working properly. One had to log out or reboot - I don't remember exactly what it was like. Only after this the plugin or the audio mixer worked. It's possible that you also encountered this problem. Other Linux programs are used to working immediately. If this should not be the case, then this is otherwise explicitly mentioned in the documentation.