xvkbd virtual keyboard

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
coyotl

xvkbd virtual keyboard

Post by coyotl »

This application works but has a very annoying 'feature': if you switch to another language (in my case Russian as I'm learning that) and click on a key, then this will work fine but then it switches automatically back to English layout. This behaviour makes the application next to useless - better to use an online virtual keyboard. An alternative is the Onboard application but it is not available for Slackware and compiling it seems very complicated because of deps.
This is not a major problem at all, just wondered if anyone has been using xvkbd and knows how to change this. I have been reading xvkbd docs/home page but can't find anything. It is an old application - but would be perfectly usable if it was not for this.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: xvkbd virtual keyboard

Post by gapan »

I don't really know about xvkbd. Maybe the best thing to do would be to contact the author?

But, I find the idea of having to click on a virtual keyboard with a mouse cumbersome to say the least. Why don't you try using your actual keyboard for it? It is possible to use multiple keyboard layouts at the same time and switch to any one you want. Perhaps also put some stickers on the keys?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

gapan wrote: 10. Oct 2020, 20:00 Perhaps also put some stickers on the keys?
Or learn to touch type in Russian :mrgreen:
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

Yes, I have already decided to 'upgrade' from this cumbersome tool (have mostly used Onboard). Getting stickers from ebay, and a PC keyboard. I think it's possible to have 2 keyboards connected? I have various bluetooth and USB keyboards that can be converted.
I looked at the homepage for the application - the author takes a fee for consultations, not so unreasonable really..
I'm not so good at touch in any language, Russian is a complex and difficult language so I'm taking my time to get over the stage where you know nothing, just using Duolingo (a game -like online course). Time to move on from that.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm not sure about having more than one keyboard connected at once - certainly with different layouts - but what definitely works is plugging in the other keyboard, and changing the layout. This is just a mouseclick on the panel, once you have the two layouts in place.

However it may be that with some tinkering, you actually could have two keyboards on the go with Russian and your native language. But this goes against the grain of how the DE/WM manages different layouts.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Apparently it is possible to have 2 keyboards with different layouts! Or any number of keyboards and layout combinations for that matter!

Code: Select all

# Use xinput to find your keyboards.

$ xinput
⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                id=11   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint                     id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Logitech Performance MX                   id=14   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ E-Signal USB Gaming Keyboard              id=16   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                                 id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                              id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Integrated Camera                         id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard              id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                    id=13   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sennheiser Sennheiser 3D G4ME1            id=15   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ E-Signal USB Gaming Keyboard              id=17   [slave  keyboard (3)]

# My keyboards are id 10 (laptop integrated) and id 17 (external keyboard).

# Now, set my external keyboard to be Swedish layout, and my internal to Dvorak:
$ setxkbmap -device 17 se
$ setxkbmap -device 10 dvorak
taken from: http://xahlee.info/linux/linux_diff_lay ... oards.html

I haven't tried it but it looks like it should work.
galmei

Post by galmei »

coyotl wrote: 10. Oct 2020, 19:04 This application works but has a very annoying 'feature': if you switch to another language (in my case Russian as I'm learning that) and click on a key, then this will work fine but then it switches automatically back to English layout. This behaviour makes the application next to useless - better to use an online virtual keyboard. An alternative is the Onboard application but it is not available for Slackware and compiling it seems very complicated because of deps.
This is not a major problem at all, just wondered if anyone has been using xvkbd and knows how to change this. I have been reading xvkbd docs/home page but can't find anything. It is an old application - but would be perfectly usable if it was not for this.
If you want to use several keyboards at the same time, I can confirm that this is possible. I had already connected two keyboards with different assignment. With the call of:

Code: Select all

setxkbmap -device ID-Number -layout gr
you can set the desired keyboard to the layout you want to use via the ID number, in the example Greek. gapan named the necessary commands (xinput and setxkbmap).
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

Very interesting, thanks!
Will definitely try this.