Installations and their Dependencies

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Bird
Donor

Installations and their Dependencies

Post by Bird »

I think I've found a somewhat general problem when installing Salix not only with the full install, but even more with the minimal install (the one with the graphical interface, but very few packages). Plenty of dependencies when installing programs are missing. One example would be the Java program pdfsam (v2.2.2) which needed OpenJDK to start. Another would be the painting programm Pinta, where "mono" was missing to build it.
I've encountered this from time to time with Slackbuilds from Sourcery, too. Commands fail, because a compiler package is missing (for example the correct version of qt or cmake for example). Why aren't they downloaded automatically, like other packages are?
Who should I notify in these cases?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Installations and their Dependencies

Post by gapan »

True. The reason is that due to slackbuilds.org's policy these dependencies were not listed, or incorrectly listed, at least at the time the packages were built, and there is also no way to automatically detect them. This is something that is noted in the respective blog post:
https://blog.salixos.org/post/our-new-extra-repository/
In some cases, mostly with Python and Perl libraries and software, not all dependencies will be listed. If you find such a case, please notify us (in the forums or the mailing list) and we’ll try to fix it.
...which is exactly what you did here. I have added the missing dependencies for these in the repos. If you find any more, please report those too. Thanks!
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

New Salix installation on the desk, so it was time to try out some more programs.
Missing dependencies for the SlackBuild
palemoon-bin...
needs
-ffmpeg

unetbootin...
needs
-p7zip
-qt

Another question: Sometimes, there is no protocol available, if the installation with Sourcery fails. I think it's the case, when the installation fails at an early point, like a broken internet link (or sometimes just "unreachable" link, https certificate issues I guess). But it would be important to have the failure protocol in any case!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Hi, I somehow missed this earlier...
Bird wrote: 4. Jan 2021, 14:21 New Salix installation on the desk, so it was time to try out some more programs.
Missing dependencies for the SlackBuild
palemoon-bin...
needs
-ffmpeg
I don't think so. I remove ffmpeg and palemoon-bin works fine as far as I can tell.

Bird wrote: 4. Jan 2021, 14:21 unetbootin...
needs
-p7zip
-qt
p7zip was already there, but I just added qt. Thanks!
Bird wrote: 4. Jan 2021, 14:21 Another question: Sometimes, there is no protocol available, if the installation with Sourcery fails. I think it's the case, when the installation fails at an early point, like a broken internet link (or sometimes just "unreachable" link, https certificate issues I guess). But it would be important to have the failure protocol in any case!
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. If something fails, you can take a look at the respective log.
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

When I have a new installation to make, I'll try installing the Pale Moon package again.

The error protocol in Sourcery is nice, but sometimes it doesn't show up. For example try to cut off your internet line. Then try to install something in Sourcery. Of course it can't download the files to install, but then, there is no log at all showing up. I've had this sometimes with an active internet connection too, probably when the connection wasn't successful, or the server of the source files was moved, or an non-updated Salix misses some TLS certificates. What I want to say is: The log only appears, when the installation actually started. I think, this is not optimal, because there is no good response from Sourcery in theses cases (installation aborts early).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yes, but you should be getting an error message that the download failed in that case.
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

Yes, you're right. That`s okay. But it could be a bit clearer, what exactly did fail. Even better: Tell the user, that there is a certificate issue and the system has to be updated.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

There is no way of knowing that. If a download fails it might be due to 100 different reasons.
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

Troubles with the Slackbuild "videocut". It misses the qmake and the xine.h commands, so I had to install qt and xine-lib with Slapt-get.
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

Another one. The Slackbuild "libopenshot-audio" requires "doxygen" from Slapt-get. Also, "libopenshot" requires "swig". However I'm not able to build libopenshot, because there is a hwcontext.h missing, which has something to do with ffmpeg (which I have installed). There is a discussion about this on another forum: https://github.com/irtimmer/moonlight-e ... issues/532