Kdenlive installation problems

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Bird
Donor

Kdenlive installation problems

Post by Bird »

I encountered some problems with video cutting program kdenlive 0.9.10. To be set up on my new computer (only 8 years old, but now with 64-Bit Salix 14.2).

First of all, there are missing dependencies:
kde-runtime
automoc4
linuxdoc-tools

The program builds fine then. But starting Kdenlive doesn't work. Pretty much exactly, what was described in this thread on Linuxquestions:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175593160/

It suggests to remove "qt5" from the system and reinstall "mlt". However these two are dependant on each other. Removing qt5 removes mlt too. Any fun stuff that can be done with the slapt-get command to avoid that?

Also is it a bad idea to install the super-KDE program Kdenlive on a Xfce desktop?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Kdenlive installation problems

Post by gapan »

You can remove any package without checking for dependencies with spkg, for example:

Code: Select all

sudo spkg -d qt5
That will not uninstall mlt, even if mlt depends on qt5.

And you can install any package with slapt-get without installing any of its dependencies:

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get --no-dep -i mlt
will install mlt without any of its dependencies. If it will actually work is another issue.
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

Thank you! These commands were helpful. To run the very dated Kdenlive 0.9.10, qt5 has to be uninstalled. Re-installing qt5 after Kdenlive breaks it again. I guess I have to decide between qt5 programs (VLC and Wireshark for example) and Kdenlive on this installation of Salix 14.2. Kdenlive by the way is a fantastic video editor, very powerful once learned. But its current version crashed too often on an odd Kubuntu, so let's see if the old version performs better with Salix.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

You could try the appimage from here, https://kdenlive.org/en/download/. Seems to work here.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

Thank you, laprjns. I didn't know what an AppImage is, but for me as a user, AppImages are more convenient than dependency hell. The new version of Kdenlive runs well as an AppImage on Salix it seems.
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

Maybe another option to circumvent problems with Kdenlive under the current Salix 14.2: Install the previous version, Salix 14.1, and use that with the 8-year-old Kdenlive 0.9.8. Some menus are different, but it's useable. Now I'll cut some videos with it on an old computer of 2007, which is close to the limit of what's a good idea with this dated machine. However Salix 14.1 performs absolutely beautiful, as does 14.2. All other Linux distributions failed to perform well, to not confuse me, and to look good on this limited hardware.