Opera et Gscan2pdf

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
papa

Opera et Gscan2pdf

Post by papa »

Hello. I just successfully installed Salix on my PC. I want to install the Opera browser and Gscan2pdf. They do not exist in Gslapt. I then used Sourcery. With Sourcery I have the following results:
For Opera the installation is a success. The Opera selection is now in the Internet menu. But when I click on Opera nothing happens.
For Gscan2pdf, Sourcery requires Perl-gslib! How to get it?
galmei

Re: Opera et Gscan2pdf

Post by galmei »

papa wrote: 20. Jan 2022, 16:01 Hello. I just successfully installed Salix on my PC. I want to install the Opera browser and Gscan2pdf. They do not exist in Gslapt. I then used Sourcery. With Sourcery I have the following results:
For Opera the installation is a success. The Opera selection is now in the Internet menu. But when I click on Opera nothing happens.
For Gscan2pdf, Sourcery requires Perl-gslib! How to get it?
Hello and welcome,

After installation, did you update the kernel and components to the latest regular state (kernel-huge-4.4.276-x86_64-1) for Salix 14.2? You can determine which kernel components are installed as follows:

Code: Select all

slapt-get --search '^kernel-*'
Gscan2pdf: You can find the solution in this discussion thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8158

Opera: Don't know what it is now, but what happens when you call opera from the command line?
Are there error messages about this in ~/.xsession-errors or ~/.xfce4-session.verbose-log?
papa

Post by papa »

Voilà ce que donne la commande
bash-4.3$ slapt-get --search '^kernel-*'
kernel-firmware-20160628git-noarch-1 [inst=non]: kernel-firmware (Firmware for the kernel)
kernel-firmware-20210305_e425f76-noarch-1 [inst=non]: kernel-firmware (Firmware for the kernel)
kernel-generic-4.4.14-x86_64-1 [inst=non]: kernel-generic (a general purpose SMP Linux kernel)
kernel-generic-4.4.276-x86_64-1 [inst=non]: kernel-generic (a general purpose SMP Linux kernel)
kernel-headers-4.4.14-x86-1 [inst=non]: kernel-headers (Linux kernel include files)
kernel-headers-4.4.276-x86-1 [inst=non]: kernel-headers (Linux kernel include files)
kernel-huge-4.4.14-x86_64-1 [inst=non]: kernel-huge (a fully-loaded SMP Linux kernel)
kernel-huge-4.4.276-x86_64-1 [inst=non]: kernel-huge (a fully-loaded SMP Linux kernel)
kernel-modules-4.4.14-x86_64-1 [inst=non]: kernel-modules (Linux kernel modules)
kernel-modules-4.4.276-x86_64-1 [inst=non]: kernel-modules (Linux kernel modules)
kernel-source-4.4.14-noarch-1 [inst=non]: kernel-source (Linux kernel source)
kernel-source-4.4.276-noarch-1 [inst=non]: kernel-source (Linux kernel source)
kernel-firmware-20160823git-noarch-1_slack14.2 [inst=oui]: kernel-firmware (Firmware for the kernel)
kernel-headers-4.4.19-x86-1_slack14.2 [inst=oui]: kernel-headers (Linux kernel include files)
kernel-huge-4.4.19-x86_64-1_slack14.2 [inst=oui]: kernel-huge (a fully-loaded SMP Linux kernel)
kernel-modules-4.4.19-x86_64-1_slack14.2 [inst=oui]: kernel-modules (Linux kernel modules)

In a terminal, Opera and Opera-developer gives the message "command not found".

Hidden files ~/.xsession-errors or ~/.xfce4-session.verbose-log do not exist on my computer.

In Sourcery there are 3 Opera: Opera (with ffmpeg-codecs), Opera developer (with ffmpeg-codecs) and Opera legacy. The first two install successfully but clicking on the Internet menu selection does not work. Opera legacy also installs successfully and works fine. It's a great mystery! Can we use ffmpeg packages from opera or opera-developer for opera legacy?

For scanner software, Xsane and Simple Scan works great. Only Gscan2pdf do not work. This is a second mystery!

Thank you very much for your information.
galmei

Post by galmei »

So you've got:

kernel-firmware-20160823git-noarch-1_slack14.2
kernel-headers-4.4.19-x86-1_slack14.2
kernel-huge-4.4.19-x86_64-1_slack14.2
kernel-modules-4.4.19-x86_64-1_slack14.2
This means that you still have the kernel from the installation medium in use. Even if you have agreed to update the installed packages through Gslapt, the kernel is not automatically handled in the process.

It is better, if not necessary, to install the latest kernel provided for Salix 14.2.

You can use the following two commands to update the kernel to the current state.

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get --install kernel-huge kernel-modules kernel-headers kernel-firmware #kernel-source
If you want to have the kernel sources additionally installed, then remove the comment sign in the line shown -- the sources are usually not necessary.

If you have installed on a non-(U)EFI machine or a machine in legacy bios mode, you will probably use LILO as boot loader, it can be told to install a new boot loader after a kernel change by the following command:

sudo lilo -v
If you use the (U)EFI instead, then a different boot loader/manager comes into play, and you must use its mechanism to communicate the kernel change.

Opera:
papa wrote: 21. Jan 2022, 17:04 In a terminal, Opera and Opera-developer gives the message "command not found".
Probably the command must be written in lower case. However, it is also possible that the command is written differently. Command names do not have to match the package name. By the way, I wrote "call opera from the command line", Opera in lower case.
papa wrote: 21. Jan 2022, 17:04 Hidden files ~/.xsession-errors or ~/.xfce4-session.verbose-log do not exist on my computer.
The command line:

cd ~;ls -la .x*
does not show the two files?

opera 75.0.3969.93 is the stable version in Sourcery, uses the free HTML renderer Blink; this is the Opera you probably want to use.

opera-developer 76.0.3995.0 is the development version in Sourcery, you can use it if you can live with instabilities.

opera-legacy 12.16.1860 is old and uses Presto, a proprietary HTML rendering engine.

The ffmpeg-codecs extensions are probably superfluous. However, I do not know exactly.

There is a brand new version: Opera (Linux) 83.0.4254.19, but not yet in Sourcery. It can be found as a DEB package on the web. One could perhaps create a TGZ package for Salix and Slackware from it.

Gscan2pdf:
papa wrote: 21. Jan 2022, 17:04 For scanner software, Xsane and Simple Scan works great. Only Gscan2pdf do not work. This is a second mystery!
The discussion I linked to describes the solution. Please read it. No mystery there at all.

Addendum:
Belatedly, I have realised the mistake you are making:
papa wrote: 21. Jan 2022, 17:04 The first two install successfully but clicking on the Internet menu selection does not work. Opera legacy also installs successfully and works fine. It's a great mystery!
The three Opera packages mentioned have different package names, but will have exactly the same names as a command, probably "opera" in lower case.

So if you install three different packages one after the other, only the last one will completely remain. The previous two have been completely or partially replaced.
You can have several commands with the same name at the same time, but it does not work the way you imagine.

My recommendation to try to correct the mess is: Start Gslapt and search for the remaining Opera package. Remove it, reboot and install the one you want. This will probably solve the problem. Installations made via Sourcery are subsequently visible as packages in Gslapt.
Last edited by galmei on 21. Jan 2022, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
papa

Post by papa »

The kernel and Lilo have been updated successfully.
Opera
I do use command line lower case for opera and opera-developer. I will continue to search.
I uninstalled opera legacy and installed opera again. A click on the internet/opera selection does nothing. On the command line I get this message:
bash-4.3$ opera
opera: error while loading shared libraries: libxkbcommon.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

does not show the two files?
The log files do exist.

Gscan2pdf
I will use xsane or simple scan.
galmei

Post by galmei »

papa wrote: 21. Jan 2022, 22:14 bash-4.3$ opera
opera: error while loading shared libraries: libxkbcommon.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libxkbcommon.so.0 exists. You can install it via Gslapt.

I think, you need to uninstall all installed opera packages first, if that is even enough. You have already created quite a (small) mess.
papa

Post by papa »

I uninstalled opera from sourcery. With gslapt I searched for libxkbcommon.so.0 . Gslapt can't find it!
ivanovnegro
Donor

Post by ivanovnegro »

Uninstall all Opera packages as suggested and then try again with the stable version of Opera from Sourcery. If it is true that Opera needs libxkbcommon then Sourcery normally would ask you to install it as a dependency. Then you open Gslapt and install that package libxkbcommon. Of course instead you could open the command line and type:

sudo slapt-get -i libxkbcommon
Then you click on "try again" in Sourcery.

All that said I doubt it would be a good idea to install an older version of Opera that is probably vulnerable to security issues. Therefor even the dev version from Sourcery is outdated. The legacy version of Opera is even more ancient, that was once the old Opera browser based on another engine, Presto and not Blink that it uses nowadays from the Chromium project.

To be able to install the recent version of Opera would be difficult for a beginner as it only comes as a deb file, not compatible with Salix or Slackware, made for Debian and Ubuntu based distributions.
papa

Post by papa »

I tried again but without success. I do not find libxkbcommon.
bash-4.3$ opera
bash-4.3$ sudo slapt-get -i libxkbcommon
Mot de passe :
Reading package list…Done
No such package: libxkbcommon
bash-4.3$
But I will take your advice and use firefox.
Thank you again for your help. I mark my post as solved.
See you soon maybe.
ivanovnegro
Donor

Post by ivanovnegro »

papa wrote: 22. Jan 2022, 10:09 I tried again but without success. I do not find libxkbcommon.
That is strange. Because I have it already installed on my system.

$ slapt-get --search  libxkbcommon
libxkbcommon-0.5.0-x86_64-1gv [inst=Ja]: libxkbcommon (library to handle keyboard descriptions)
Edit: Can you post your system information here from the command line?

inxi -S