Want to Run Salix on Macbook Pro (2015)

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Dennola4

Want to Run Salix on Macbook Pro (2015)

Post by Dennola4 »

Hey guys,

Longtime user here (wow, 12+ years!). I'm interested in using an *old* Macbook Pro (2015) as a dedicated Linux box. My questions are:

1) Is there a specific build you would suggest? I've historically used Salix XFCE <current> on my devices.
2) A few forum members seem to have successfully put Salix on their Macbooks. My hope was to run it natively, and was hoping for insight into best practices. (for example: Wipe HDD vs dual boot?).

I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions. Thanks in advance.
There are no stupid questions.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Want to Run Salix on Macbook Pro (2015)

Post by gapan »

I don't personally have any experience with installing salix on a mac. I can see this post though:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175552477/

Make sure you read the first post and post #5. It seems if you use rEFIND to boot the salix installer in UEFI mode, it should work. Use the 64-bit iso and make sure you don't install elilo, as noted in that post. You shouldn't need to build a newer kernel, as the 4.4 kernel in 14.2 should be enough. Perhaps you will need the tweaks mentioned in the first post. Please report back if it works.

If anyone else has experience with this, please chime in.

BTW, if you'd be a little more patient and wait a couple of weeks, perhaps you'll be able to install some 15.0 prerelease instead of 14.2. Or you could install 14.2 now and upgrade/reinstall when 15.0 is ready. ;)
Dennola4

Post by Dennola4 »

Hello gapan,

Thanks for the response. The post you linked to is very useful, particularly the rEFInd boot mgr info. I'll start the process and document here as I go.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Interesting, any update?
Dennola4

Post by Dennola4 »

Not yet. Still waiting to get the computer back, but it's on the docket.