Kill Salix with kernel-modules

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Bird
Donor

Kill Salix with kernel-modules

Post by Bird »

I'm messing around with a new Salix 14.2 64-Bit installation and try out some nonsense.
I see, there is a package "kernel-modules" installed already, namely version 4.4.19-x86_64-1_slack14.2. When typing "sudo slapt-get -i kernel-modules" into the command line, it installs another package, version "4.4.301-x86_64-1".
Also there is a third package available, version "4.4.14-x86_64-1_slack14.2", which can be installed by pointing to it specifically with "sudo slapt-get -i kernel-modules-4.4.14-x86_64-1_slack14.2".

After shutting down and restarting Salix, problems occur after having installed one of the two other kernel-modules packages. The keyboard and mouse aren't recognised already at the bootscreen, that shows the SysV commands. Normally, you could type in your keyboard and these characters would appear between the lines that document the startup process. After starting up, the network detection doesn't work (the LAN cable), which it normally would connect automatically. Therefore I guess that the system is stuck, however I can't prove it due to the mouse and keyboard not responding.

Just a problematic case for the records. Avoiding installing the package "kernel-modules" manually should get one out of troubles.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Kill Salix with kernel-modules

Post by djemos »

To upgrade the kernel have to install kernel-headers kernel-huge and kernel-modules of same version (otherwise the result is having problems as keyboard not working, network etc)
In patches folder there are all these packages version 4.4.301
if you have installed kernel-source package then you have to upgrade kernel-source package too.

so the command is

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i kernel-headers kernel-huge kernel-modules
for kernel-firmware

sudo slapt-get -i kernel-firmware
and for kernel source

sudo slapt-get -i kernel-source
and if you have grub run
sudo update-grub