Salix 15 Alpha 2 issues/feedback

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
EricC

Salix 15 Alpha 2 issues/feedback

Post by EricC »

See subject
EricC

Re: Salix 15 Alpha 2 issues/feedback

Post by EricC »

VMware Workstation - UEFI

Tried the following configurations while creating VMs and doing a basic install. Testing out the ESXi HW compatibility as we have a vSphere environment where I work in case I want to upload a Salix VM.
---
Other kernel 5.x or later
ESXi 7 HW compatibility
= Problems - Do not use
---
Other kernel 4.x or later
ESXi 7 HW compatibility
= Problems - Do not use
---
Other kernel 4.x or later
EXSi 6.7 HW compatibility
= Works
---
Other kernel 5.0 or later
VMware 16.2.x HW compatibility
= Works
---
EricC

Post by EricC »

Hyper-V Gen2 (UEFI)

Problems
-With the alpha2 ISO, it boots and allows me to install Salix (did a Core install).
-On reboot, I briefly see "elilo loading kernel..." or something to that effect since it goes so fast before Hyper-V shuts the VM down.

Slackware 15 (using UEFI) works with Hyper-V. One of the differences is my Slackware VM uses a generic kernel and initrd. So I did a fresh install of Slackware 15 and had it use the huge kernel. I was able to reproduce the same error.

Taking things a step further, I took the generic 5.15.27 kernel and initrd from my working Slackware 15 Hyper-V VM and copied them over to my test Salix VM. After I modified elilo.conf, I rebooted the test Salix VM and it started up fine.

So I am figuring one of the necessary drivers (storage, maybe?) is a module, not loading in time, and thus causing the issue with the huge kernel. Any suggestions on where I should look to track things down?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

type

Code: Select all

/usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh

This command will not actually do anything. It is informational only, and will output something like this for my system

# mkinitrd_command_generator.sh revision 1.45
#
# This script will now make a recommendation about the command to use
# in case you require an initrd image to boot a kernel that does not
# have support for your storage or root filesystem built in
# (such as the Slackware 'generic' kernels').
# A suitable 'mkinitrd' command will be:

mkinitrd -c -k 5.15.27 -f ext4 -r /dev/sda3 -m xhci-pci:ohci-pci:ehci-pci:xhci-hcd:uhci-hcd:ehci-hcd:hid:usbhid:i2c-hid:hid_generic:hid-asus:hid-cherry:hid-logitech:hid-logitech-dj:hid-logitech-hidpp:hid-lenovo:hid-microsoft:hid_multitouch:jbd2:mbcache:crc32c_intel:crc32c_generic:ext4 -u -o /boot/initrd.gz
then look all the modules need to be loaded. And run not the following command but yours generated, from a system booted with huge kernel and then copy this initrd to boot with huge kernel.

sudo mkinitrd -c -k 5.15.27 -f ext4 -r /dev/sda3 -m xhci-pci:ohci-pci:ehci-pci:xhci-hcd:uhci-hcd:ehci-hcd:hid:usbhid:i2c-hid:hid_generic:hid-asus:hid-cherry:hid-logitech:hid-logitech-dj:hid-logitech-hidpp:hid-lenovo:hid-microsoft:hid_multitouch:jbd2:mbcache:crc32c_intel:crc32c_generic:ext4 -u -o /boot/initrd.gz
simone

Post by simone »

Hi, I point out that in my Lenovo laptop I have the alpha2 version installed: on reboot everything works, except that it does not have the options to suspend and hibernate. I tried to reinstall upower but nothing to do. From terminal if I give loginctl suspend nothing happens ...
Thanks
Il cielo prima di tutto. Sempre.
www.simonecumbo.it
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

simone wrote: 18. Apr 2022, 15:42 Hi, I point out that in my Lenovo laptop I have the alpha2 version installed: on reboot everything works, except that it does not have the options to suspend and hibernate. I tried to reinstall upower but nothing to do. From terminal if I give loginctl suspend nothing happens ...
Thankssure
I have also a lenovo i3 g510 model and i can see the options to suspend and hibernate and from terminal the loginctl suspend works. Are you sure iso download is or installation was ok?
simone

Post by simone »

Hello, the installation was successful, no error. Only there are no suspension options nor does the brightness work...

Il cielo prima di tutto. Sempre.
www.simonecumbo.it
EricC

Post by EricC »

djemos wrote: 18. Apr 2022, 15:00 type

/usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh

This command will not actually do anything. It is informational only, and will output something like this for my system

# mkinitrd_command_generator.sh revision 1.45
#
# This script will now make a recommendation about the command to use
# in case you require an initrd image to boot a kernel that does not
# have support for your storage or root filesystem built in
# (such as the Slackware 'generic' kernels').
# A suitable 'mkinitrd' command will be:

mkinitrd -c -k 5.15.27 -f ext4 -r /dev/sda3 -m xhci-pci:ohci-pci:ehci-pci:xhci-hcd:uhci-hcd:ehci-hcd:hid:usbhid:i2c-hid:hid_generic:hid-asus:hid-cherry:hid-logitech:hid-logitech-dj:hid-logitech-hidpp:hid-lenovo:hid-microsoft:hid_multitouch:jbd2:mbcache:crc32c_intel:crc32c_generic:ext4 -u -o /boot/initrd.gz
then look all the modules need to be loaded. And run not the following command but yours generated, from a system booted with huge kernel and then copy this initrd to boot with huge kernel.

sudo mkinitrd -c -k 5.15.27 -f ext4 -r /dev/sda3 -m xhci-pci:ohci-pci:ehci-pci:xhci-hcd:uhci-hcd:ehci-hcd:hid:usbhid:i2c-hid:hid_generic:hid-asus:hid-cherry:hid-logitech:hid-logitech-dj:hid-logitech-hidpp:hid-lenovo:hid-microsoft:hid_multitouch:jbd2:mbcache:crc32c_intel:crc32c_generic:ext4 -u -o /boot/initrd.gz
I tried something similar this morning after I posted with no luck. At the end of the installation where you are presented with the option to reboot or exit to the command line, I chose exit to the command line. Here are the steps I took:

chroot /mnt
cd /boot/efi/EFI/Salix-Core-15.0
$(/usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh -r -k 5.15.27)
cp /boot/initrd.gz .
vi elilo.conf (Added the line:  initrd=initrd.gz right below label=vmlinuz and saved file)
exit
reboot
After the reboot I still have the same problem. After much reverting of snapshots, I was finally able to make out the following lines of text before the VM shutdown.

fileops.c(line 525):No devnames scheme worked, using builtin.

loading kernel vmlinuz...done

loading file initrd.gz..done
Am I missing something from the steps above?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

This is a problem with elilo. Here is an old post viewtopic.php?t=7650&start=10
I suggest to use generic kernel with initrd and elilo which boot as you said.
Edit: as a test download this initrd.gz (it is for huge kernel 64bit) and copy it to /boot/efi/EFI/Salix-Core-15.0/ of your system which cannot boot.
check if system boots
EricC

Post by EricC »

djemos wrote: 19. Apr 2022, 07:59 This is a problem with elilo. Here is an old post viewtopic.php?t=7650&start=10
I suggest to use generic kernel with initrd and elilo which boot as you said.
Edit: as a test download this initrd.gz (it is for huge kernel 64bit) and copy it to /boot/efi/EFI/Salix-Core-15.0/ of your system which cannot boot.
check if system boots
Unfortunately, no change using your initrd.gz. I'll revert to the pre-elilo snapshot and try things with Grub later. Going to take a break and play with alpha 2 on VMware for a bit. Thank you for your help.