boot hard disk installation from install usb [SOLVED]

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

boot hard disk installation from install usb [SOLVED]

Post by mimosa »

I'm sure there's something about this somewhere in the forum or wiki, but I can't find it.

I just installed the RC3 on an ancient machine with a hard disk that looks to be on its last legs, and LILO failed to install. I previously had Slackel on the same machine, and booting with Grub worked ok.

Is there an easy way to use the install USB to boot into the system?

I also vaguely remember the installer used to have an option to create a USB that could be used just for that purpose.

For what it's worth I can report the installation went smoothly.

EDIT
I am still curious to know how to boot into an installation that for some reason won't boot using the bootloader. But I worked out my mistake! Not the decrepit computer, but because I chose btrfs for /, and didn't make a separate /boot partition. LILO can't it seems handle btrfs.
hugok

Re: boot hard disk installation from install usb [SOLVED]

Post by hugok »

I allways go with ext4. Safe choice! And should be the standard in Salix, not xfs

During the installation we are warned about the LILO installation and its limitations with btrfs and xfs in root partition.

Obs: This is in my case because I use an old BIOS/LAPTOP/Master Boot Record (MBR)
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: boot hard disk installation from install usb [SOLVED]

Post by mimosa »

I went with xfs the second time round, and it seems to be working (and booting!) ok.