Wine/bottles

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Wine/bottles

Post by Van_Vinkle »

I need the wine package, since there are yet some MS Win98 programs I must run sometimes.

Diving into slapt-get and slapt-src gave me no answer. Into flatpak I encountered a package named "bottles" which had wine inside. This was a week or ten days ago.

I tried to install it through flatpak, but no success. I mean, bottles (and a lot of other things) was installed, but I was not able to run it. After some investigation by the net I could no start bottles.

Now I've seen that bottles is in the salix' repository. My idea was to delete all the installed bottles stuff and install it again by slapt-get. But when I did "updatedb && locate bottles", there were 14.050 (!) files named so.

Then my questions: Is it true that wine is not in the salix/slackware repositories? Bottles are so easy as wine for running Win programs? Is it advisable to install bottles directly without delete the old ones? (To delete by hand more than fourteen thousands files is out of my capability. Maybe a simple script could do it?)
DidierSpaier

Re: Wine/bottles

Post by DidierSpaier »

Maybe this answers one of your question?

Code: Select all

root[/]# slapt-get --search wine
bottles-2022.4.14.trento.2-x86_64-1salix15.0 [inst=non]: bottles (easily manage wineprefix using environments)
innoextract-1.9-x86_64-1salix15.0 [inst=non]: innoextract (Unpacker for Inno Setup installers)
msitools-0.94-x86_64-2salix15.0 [inst=non]: msitools (Inspect and build Windows Installer (.MSI)
q4wine-1.3.12-x86_64-1salix15.0 [inst=non]: q4wine (Qt4 GUI for wine)
tellico-3.4-x86_64-1salix15.0 [inst=non]: tellico (KDE application for keeping track of your collections)
twine-3.1.1-x86_64-1salix15.0 [inst=non]: twine (Utilities for interacting with PyPI)
wine-staging-7.9-x86_64-1salix15.0 [inst=oui]: wine-staging (Wine Staging is the testing area of winehq.org)
winetricks-20220411-noarch-1salix15.0 [inst=non]: winetricks (script to download and install programs for wine)
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle »

Yes, as I said I've seen that package bottles is now in the salix' repository. My first question was about wine, no bottles.

My doubt is now if I can install bottles directly from the salix repository without delete the old files and how to get rid of them.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

If you installed these bottles using flatpak, you can just uninstall them using flatpak. I would do that first, then install the package from the extra repository.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I just tried Bottles through the flatpak and it works fine. I was able to install a windows application and launch it. Haven't done that for more than 20 years. :D

What problems did you find?
hugok

Post by hugok »

What did you do gapan :o using windows applications :lol:

It's okay I also do it to test translations of applications like Notepad++, WinMerge, SubtitleEdit, PDF24 and a few hundred more... :lol:

Also translate Bottles :D

Cheers
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle »

Thanks DidierSpaier, Gapan & Hugok for your support, but finally it has not been necessary.

I did not like bottles, that's why I searched a genuine wine package. I've found it at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/fi ... 0Packages/.

The following was easy: I installed it through installpkg, I already had wine in my system. All was apparently right at this moment. But it was not:

Code: Select all

$ which wine
/usr/bin/wine
$ wine msworks.exe
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
:o ???

I need again your wisdom
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

That's to be expected, as wine is only a 32bit application. Even the "x86_64" package you found there includes the 32bit application, which needs multilib to be installed. So if you want that package to work, then you'll need to install multilib. I wouldn't do that, multilib is ugly and causes all sort of problems.

BTW, we do have wine in our repositories, it's just that it's only in our 32bit repositories of course. If you make a 32bit chroot, you could use that.

But the easier thing to do in this case would be to just use the Bottles flatpak. It includes everything needed, including a 32bit environment, so it just works.
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle »

I'm afraid I will give up Bottles / Wine.

I said I don't like Bottles. It was more exactly to say I don't like flatpak. It is IMHO a bad program. Maybe its code is good, but the man page is very confusing. Also, and worse, Bottles accepts only WinOS newer than XP, and my very old files were in Win98.

At this point I can see two solutions: dust off an old laptop (and cross the fingers it is yet running well) or, more probably, and taking into account that I do not need those Win98 files often, I'll see them through a live disk. Both solutions are for me much easier than Wine /Bottles.

Thanks to everybody who have tried to help me.