Fileshare Issues

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
dave1953
Donor

Fileshare Issues

Post by dave1953 »

User with limited linux knowledge, sorry.

I'm delighted with the ease of use of Salix compared to vanilla Slackware, but have stumbled over just one topic - sharing files with samba. I have set samba up, enabled and restarted it and ran test parm successfully, so samba seems fine.

My difficulty is sharing files in Thunar and seeing those files. I have changed permissions so the group Sambashare can read/write to files on the relative volumes. The user (me) is david and I am a member of the Sambashare group. I can see all the drives on my machine when I manually insert the correct smb://192.xxx.x.xx address in thunar, but no access is given when I double click on the drives.

Struggling to understand what I am doing wrong. I am used to using thunar-shares-plugin to make samba shares but every time I try to download it the build stalls because I do not have thunarx1 or thunarx2 or something and this missing item does not appear anywhere I can find. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice, please.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Fileshare Issues

Post by djemos »

On thunar type as bellow, i use an example what i use to access shares in other machines from salix-xfce-15.0

Code: Select all

smb://username:userpass@192.xxx.x.xx/share
where username and userpass is the username and userpass of user in the other machine and share is the share in the other machine. Change them at yours
then will be prompted with a window to type there the username and userpass in the other machine
this problem appeared in new version of samba and maybe will be fixed in new release.
dave1953
Donor

Post by dave1953 »

Thank you for your kind help. I'll try this as soon as I can get back to my machine and post the results.
dave1953
Donor

Post by dave1953 »

Didn't work, sorry just same result as when I access from Thunar via network. Shows all the shared drives but does not offer any access to them.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I just added thunar-shares-plugin to the repos. Wait a bit for your mirror to sync and you should be able to get it with slapt-get/gslapt.
dave1953
Donor

Post by dave1953 »

Thanks
salpek

Post by salpek »

Try this solution (maybe it's the same samba bug):
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8414
dave1953
Donor