Solution to VPN?

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
LibreLenny

Solution to VPN?

Post by LibreLenny »

It appears that there's no VPN that will work with Slackware.

You can use Firefox and install a browser VPN - and that's kind of ok.

But to get full use of a VPN for the whole system, I've loaded Salix OS into a Virtual Box and I have SurfShark VPN running on the host OS - which in my case is Zorin OS, because I need a strong production environment as I use it for my employment and need pretty much everything to work. Zorin is a very good OS (if you ignore that it's built on Ubuntu) if you're just using it for commercial purposes - which I am.

For my personal OS, I am using Salix in Virtual Box, which is better for privacy anyway. It's alwways better to use Virtual Box instead of running the OS on "bare metal".

So it all works out well. I have my production environment that I can use for work. I also have a private OS, wich piggybacks off the VPN runnin gon the host system.

I just have one last problem. I have another laptop which is running Salix OS on the SSD, not in Virtual Box. So somehow I'd like to get VPN running on that, one way or another. Or maybe I need to install Straight Debian (Sparky Linux is my favourite Debian distro), and then runSalix in Virtual Box.

Or maybe I should invest in a hardware VPN. I don't know much about those.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
SalixManiac

Re: Solution to VPN?

Post by SalixManiac »

I think for classic users (bank, purchase online...) HTTPS has made the vpn obsolete (public WiFi included).
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
LibreLenny

Post by LibreLenny »

I want to use VPN for the following reasons:

- So that I can gain access to content from different parts of the world.
- So that my ISP can't see what I am looking at to profile me.
- So that my government can't see what I am looking at to profile me.
- So that I have an extra layer of anonymity when I access various websites.

SSL has definitely not made VPN's obsolete. SSL has made transferring sensitive data more secure. SSL and VPN's are two completely different things.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Code: Select all

root[/]# slapt-get --search vpn|grep vpn
NetworkManager-fortisslvpn-1.2.10-x86_64-1salix15.0 [inst=non]: NetworkManager-fortisslvpn (NetworkManager SSLVPN)
NetworkManager-openvpn-1.8.16-x86_64-1 [inst=oui]: NetworkManager-openvpn (OpenVPN Support for NetworkManager)
NetworkManager-vpnc-1.2.6-x86_64-1salix15.0 [inst=non]: NetworkManager-vpnc (VPNC Support for NetworkManager)
nordvpn-3.14.0-x86_64-1salix15.0 [inst=non]: nordvpn (Protect your privacy online.)
openfortivpn-1.17.1-x86_64-1salix15.0 [inst=non]: openfortivpn (Client for PPP+SSL VPN tunnel services)
openvpn-2.5.5-x86_64-1 [inst=oui]: openvpn (secure IP tunnel daemon)
protonvpn-cli-2.2.11-x86_64-1salix15.0 [inst=non]: protonvpn-cli (ProtonVPN's Linux Command-Line Interface)
vpnc-r550-x86_64-3salix15.0 [inst=non]: vpnc (VPN client compatible with Cisco's EasyVPN equipment)
This is on Slint-15.0rc but you should get similar results on Salix-15.0.
galmei

Post by galmei »

My router modem (an AVM Fritz!Box) can establish VPNs. Routermodems from other manufacturers should also be able to support VPN.
For Linux/Ubuntu the packages vpnc, network-manager-vpnc and network-manager-vpnc-gnome are needed.
vpnc, network-manager-vpnc are available for Salix64 Xfce 14.2.
Whether the content of network-manager-vpnc-gnome is included in the other two packages I don't know.
The following is a manual from AVM in German; but there are https://www.deepl.com/translator and http://translate.google.de/ available .
https://avm.de/service/vpn/tipps-tricks ... inrichten/
Likewise, I don't know if that covers your applications at all.
My answer still refers to the distribution Salix64 Xfce 14.2, with which I still work now.
To me, the individual points of your enumeration look more like a need for encryption.
LibreLenny wrote: 24. Sep 2022, 09:47 - So that I can gain access to content from different parts of the world.
- So that my ISP can't see what I am looking at to profile me.
- So that my government can't see what I am looking at to profile me.
- So that I have an extra layer of anonymity when I access various websites.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

openvpn works just fine. You can even configure it through NetworkManager if you install the plugin.
ponzu

Post by ponzu »

I use WireGuard both on Windows 10 and on Salix with Mullvad servers and it never failed me so far.
You might also want to look into Tor or at the least Tor Browser. :D