Core installation networking problem

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Median Joe

Core installation networking problem

Post by Median Joe »

I'm new to Slackware/Salix although have been using Debian flavoured distros for some years. I have an old netbook (intel Atom, 1Gb RAM) and would like to use icewm instead of Xfce. The wiki explains how to do this, so accordingly I installed core from salixlive, which went fine. However, when trying to update the package database using "slapt-get -u" I get the error

"Couldn't resolve host name. Sources failed to download, correct sources and rerun --update"

I'm not really a Linux "power user", so I may have overlooked something obvious here. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
SalixManiac

Re: Core installation networking problem

Post by SalixManiac »

Hello Median Joe

to choose your salix server, you have a graphical interface here:
/usr/share/applications/gtkreposetup.desktop

to check your network connection, you have a graphical interface here:
/usr/share/applications/nm-connection-editor.desktop

to check if the networkmanager service is launched, you have a graphical interface here:
/usr/share/applications/gtkservicesetup.desktop
I'm not really a Linux "power user"
ah ah ah icewm :lol: I don't think you're a rookie.

Welcome to Salix/Slackware, I think you'll like it.
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
Median Joe

Post by Median Joe »

Hi SalixManiac,

I opted for a full install instead. It runs fast enough so I won't bother with icewm for now; I may tinker a bit when I've got used to the Slackware/Salix way of doing things.
Welcome to Salix/Slackware, I think you'll like it.
Thanks, and I do! :)
Median Joe

Post by Median Joe »

I like Salix so much I've now installed it on my main desktop. It runs just as fast as my previous Q4OS debian stable system with Trinity DE, if not faster.

I had an issue with Libreoffice crashing on startup, immediately after the splash screen, which is hardware dependent apparently, according to this thread on linuxquestions - https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175690954/

But I was going to install goffice anyway, so it's not a big deal. It's taken me a while to get out of the debian way of doing things. For example, I was looking for "-dev" library packages until I realized that they don't exist. :)

Happy to be a slacker.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Median Joe wrote: 5. Dec 2022, 11:49 I had an issue with Libreoffice crashing on startup, immediately after the splash screen, which is hardware dependent apparently, according to this thread on linuxquestions - https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175690954/
Oh I've seen this one lately. I had to run something like:

Code: Select all

export MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=i965
lowriter
and then it worked. Funny thing is that it only needed that MESA variable once. It works fine after that.