Persistence does not work for me.

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
TheNewbiePro

Persistence does not work for me.

Post by TheNewbiePro »

I am a complete newbie to linux, but I wanted to try it. So after some experiments I decided to try salix linux as my pc is old and 32 bit version fits it perfectly.

But I want to try live version before installing, and to really experiment with it I need persistence, but it does not seem to work.

I created live usb from windows using some utility, during usb iso (32 bit live iso of salux 15) copying to usb stick the utility allowed to create a partition for persistence I have choosen 2gb.

After reboot salix loaded with no problem (I chose persistence option during the boot process), and everything works except saves are not there when I reboot whether it is a folder on a desktop or net settings.

On desktop there is persist icon when I click it it says that it is mounted, size is 2gb, but I cant save anything here. Properties of it say that only root can write here. But I googled that from version 15 it is impossible to login as root, and indeed when I try to switch user to root with password live it does not let me, sudo su in terminal works but does not help. Another search said there is persistence-wizard, but I could not find any nether in installed packeges nor in repisitories. Should I conclude that persist option is not supported in 32 bit salux linux 15, at least not out if the box.

Thanks for reading this question, sorry I could not make it shorter.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Persistence does not work for me.

Post by djemos »

I created live usb from windows using some utility, during usb iso (32 bit live iso of salix 15) copying to usb stick the utility allowed to create a partition for persistence I have choosen 2gb.
Partition? You do not need any partition. Just use the install_on_usb.sh included in iso to create the persistent file.
Did you read the salix_live_startup_guide? Or README_SALIXLIVE_INSTALL_ON_USB.TXT
What utility you used to create the persistence file? From windows can use the rufus to create the live usb.
Since you use the 32 bit version type.

Code: Select all

sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --persistent 32 /dev/sdb
if your usb is /dev/sdb
If your usb is vfat formatted then can use up to 1998 MB the biggest size for persistent file because of vfat limit.
If your usb is ext3 formatted then can use as many GB you like. To create a 4GB persistent it takes a long time.

Edit: Boot with the created live usb without to choose persistent. Type.

sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --persistent 32 /dev/sdb
if your usb is /dev/sdb
Your persistent file will be created.
Type

ls -l -ah  /live/media/persistent 
to see the created persistent file.
Reboot and Boot again choosing persistent.

I am writing this from salixlive64 live usb using the persistent file i created using the details above.
TheNewbiePro

Re: Persistence does not work for me.

Post by TheNewbiePro »

Thanks a lot, it helped. I mounted the iso file in daemon tools in windows, copied it to a folder on hdd, booted salux, mounted the hdd, copied that file to desktop and opened desktop directory in terminal, then executed commands you provided. Now it works. :)