Minor issues after upgrading zzz-settings

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Papasot
Donor

Minor issues after upgrading zzz-settings

Post by Papasot »

Yes, yes, I know it was excluded for a reason... I did the (mistake?) to upgrade zzz-settings to version 15noarch-5gv. After that, I had minor issues with pulseaudio (volume settings not restored at Xfce). I am aware there are several ways to fix this, but none I tried behaves as it used to be before upgrading zzz-settings. Specifically, I managed to fix this by enabling pulseaudio at Application Autostart in Xfce settings, but I am pretty sure this is not how it was configured. It was disabled before (and pulseaudio was not enabled as a service at boot as well), and yet I still had sound settings restored. So I fixed the problem but it's not as it used to be.

And I'm not even sure upgrading zzz-settings had other consequences I didn't notice yet. So my question is, should I downgrade zzz-settings to its previous (default) version? And if so, what's the best way to do this? I guess one option is to get that package from installation USB and install it manually, but I thought I should ask first.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Minor issues after upgrading zzz-settings

Post by gapan »

The package description says it all...

Code: Select all

zzz-settings (provides system wide fixes for several packages)

This package provides fixes for some packages and default settings for
 others. It can safely be removed after installation, but it should
 never be installed or upgraded by the user, or it might change some
 default system settings.
and that's exactly what it did. And that is the reason why it was excluded from upgrades.

You can look into your /var/lib/pkgtools/scripts/zzz-settings-15.0-noarch-5gv to see exactly what happens when you install/upgrade it. I'm guessing your issue is something to do with pipewire? So, you'd probably want to install the pipewire package if you don't already have it, then run

Code: Select all

sudo pipewire-disable.sh
and then I guess you can uninstall pipewire if you don't need it anymore.
Papasot
Donor

Re: Minor issues after upgrading zzz-settings

Post by Papasot »

Thank you gapan for reminding me of the /var/lib/pkgtools/scripts directory. I actually knew it's very useful and gathered information from there in the past, but eventually I forgot about it.
Reading about the new zzz-settings I'd say I'll just keep the changes. Afterall, more pipeware is always welcome.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)