signal-desktop package out of date

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

signal-desktop package out of date

Post by mimosa »

This is actually two problems, I think.

signal-desktop package comes from slackbuilds.org, but it has been built in the /extra repository. signal has frequent updates, and older versions don't work by design.

So I removed this package, and installed it from slapt-src.

I can't work out how it happened, but although the latest source was downloaded, it was an intermediate version that got installed, though both that and the current version were built:

Code: Select all

mimosa[~]$ slapt-get --show signal-desktop
Package Name: signal-desktop
Package Mirror: http://download.salixos.org/x86_64/extra-15.0/
Package Priority: Official
Package Location: ./salix/network
Package Version: 5.45.0-x86_64-1salix15.0

mimosa[~]$ ls /usr/src/slapt-src/network/signal-desktop/
README     package-signal-desktop                  signal-desktop-6.20.0-x86_64-1_SBo.txz  signal-desktop.info              signal-desktop_6.20.0_amd64.deb
doinst.sh  signal-desktop-5.55.0-x86_64-1_SBo.txz  signal-desktop.SlackBuild               signal-desktop_5.55.0_amd64.deb  slack-desc
I installed the correct version using spkg, and have put in in excluded packages for now.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: signal-desktop package out of date

Post by gapan »

I think I'll just remove signal-desktop from our extra repo then. It is after all just as easy to get it from slapt-src, since the SlackBuild is just repackaging a binary anyway.

Plus, there is also the option to get it with flatpak, which should be regularly updated.

As for the problem with the mixed versions, maybe there were some leftover files from the previous version and the SlackBuild just picked up the first tarball it found, which would be the older one. Running:

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-src --clean
would have probably avoided that.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: signal-desktop package out of date

Post by mimosa »

Thanks George, I think you're right, I must have tried this before some time back.