Salix Live 13.1.1 Xfce and LXDE editions

zAchAry

Re: Salix Live 13.1.1 Xfce and LXDE editions

Post by zAchAry »

Dear Team members of SalixOS,

Please publish in the Download page a magnetlink for each .torrent available (see example)
right-click on a torrent entry in the Transmission window and click on Copy Magnet Link to Clipboard.

Code: Select all

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:<sha1sum>&dn=<temporary_name>&tr=<tracker_1>&tr=<tracker_2>&tr=<tracker_3>&tr=<tracker_4>
[/size]<temporary_name> = a temporary name that will be replaced once the bittorrent client fetches the .torrent file itself, that has the actual name.

Great news, indeed. Congratulations!
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
ikke

Post by ikke »

gapan wrote:I'd like to say congratulations to everyone involved in this double release! Everyone did a fantastic job! 8-)
Can not say it better than gapan did.

Would like to add one word : thanks. To all people involved in preparing those 2 great editions.
zaen

Post by zaen »

Thanks for these great release guys.

I have run the KDE 13.1.2, XFCE 13.1.1 and LXDE 13.1.1 live CDs and I am impressed at the consistency of their boot-up look and feel. Very professional. Each of them also correctly eject the CD upon either reboot or shutdown. There are several distros who fail this one.

I didn;t have much luck using the persistent file though. Following the instructions in the Guide, I created a persistent file in a partition (first a Windows partition then for a second attempt, on an ext3 partition on a USB-external hard drive) then reboot. Upon download of updates and other packages, I reboot to see if it still there and there was none. I tried this twice and each time, the changes were not picked up by the persistent file. Perhaps I'm missing something important.

On the contrary, I much more excited about the LiveClone feature and wanted to try that with the Live XFCE version 32-bit. To my pleasant surprise, it works! All the updates, additional applications and of course multimedia codecs were smoothly converted into an iso file together with the Live system. I know this because, I have successfully burned the resulting iso file and run it without errors. Granted, I have yet to install it to hard drive to see how the installer behaves, but for now, this LiveClone feature rocks! It is so easy to make my own customized Salix distro without going through all those esoteric procedures prescribed by other distros.

Thanks guys. Now I have a go-everywhere Live Salix DVD with multimedia working out of the box, google-earth, picasa, etc...

Here's a screenshot of my custom Live Salix DVD!

Thanks very much and more power to you all!
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Hi zaen,

Thank you for the kind words. Nice to hear that you found LiveClone useful. :)

It seems we may have a problem with the persistence wizard, at least with these LXDE & Xfce versions.

On the other hand, the Live Installer should work well in your LiveClone generated Live CD. Try it out & let us know how it went.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
zaen

Post by zaen »

Hello Akuna,

So I ran my "custom" Salix XFCE Live DVD on my desktop, intending to install it to hard drive as a dual boot with another distro. The live system boot smoothly. Problem was I had no wired connection. wicd refused to connect to my wired internet connection which is a cable running from a router to the computer. I chose not to install it since I don't know how to fix this.

I popped in all the other "standard" Salix Live CDs: XFCE, LXDE and KDE and all automatically connected to my wired connection and hence, the Internet. I surmised that the process of creating a custom Live DVD (LiveClone) must have messed up the wicd somehow.

I decided to install the standard Live XFCE 13.1.1 (32-bit) instead to see how the installer works. Well, everything went without a hitch. The Salix Live Installer is one of the clearest, most intuitive graphical installers around! No fancy slideshows, just the essentials. Nice. Based on this I really have no reason to doubt that installing the custom live DVD to hard drive would be any different (granted I still didn't try it, heheh).

I opted not to install any bootloader at the end of the installation since I wanted the first OS's grub to take care of this. A reboot and log-in at the alternate OS and "sudo update-grub" picked up "Slackware" OS and it appeared on the grub menu.

One thing I noticed with this new version of Salix is the improved rendering of fonts in my 19" Samsung LCD monitor. Fonts now look smooth and sharp, comfortable to the eyes. It used to be that in this very same pc and LCD monitor a previous version of Salix (13.0.2a) displayed jagged fonts that no amount of font adjustment could improve. In any case, all versions of Salix render fine, sharp fonts on my laptop's 14.1" LCD screen.

I'm keeping XFCE 13.1.1 in my desktop. It's a fine linux distro. I expect from my experience with 13.0.2a, that 13.1.1 is going to be another very usable, secure and dependable, good looking OS.

Thanks again.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Oh yes! there was a bug in LiveClone which has been fixed for the recent Live KDE version.

Grab this version & your network will be fine ;)
=> http://people.salixos.org/akuna/livetoo ... h-1plb.txz
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
zaen

Post by zaen »

Hey, thanks for this quick fix!
I'll try it as soon as I can.
I'm glad to report, wicd is all good now (as you can see from the network icon.) In fact I am posting this from my new Salix Custom XFCE Live DVD.

For my fellow newbs here are the cookbook steps to create this custom DVD:

1. Once the original live system is running, uninstall liveclone from gslapt
2. Update the live system and install multimedia codecs and all other pacakges you want.
.....main menu>multimedia>install multimedia codecs
3. Download the patched liveclone package indicated by Akuna
4. Install that package from the command line. Go to the download directory su - to root and type
..... installpkg liveclone....txz
5. Don't forget to rebuild icon cache first to fill in the missing icons of your newly installed programs at the main menu.
.....main menu>system>rebuild icon cache
6. Double-click the icon liveclone in the desktop, follow instructions.
7. Burn the custom iso image file.
8. Test the custom live DVD.

Mine works like a charm! Thanks a lot, Salix Team! ;)