Salix Xfce 13.1.2 images are released!

Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Xfce 13.1.2 images are released!

Post by Akuna »

Dennola4 wrote:1) Should I "upgrade" my system to 13.1.2 or am I ok continuing with 13.1.1? What I mean is, am I suddenly using an inferior version of Salix? Also, will 13.1.1 continue receiving software updates, or are the updates only for the current version of Salix?
You are fine, no need to reinstall. 13.1.2 is an upgraded version of 13.1.1. If you kept your system up to date, you are in fact using 13.1.2. except for the new packages that have been included in the last iso (mainly slapt-src, zim & meld) . If you wish to include those new packages to your system, you can simply use slapt-get or gslapt & you are done.
3) How often does Salix plan to offer new versions?
There are two main kinds of Salix releases:
1- Salix regular release, which follows Slackware main release, so far we had: 13.0 & 13.1
2- Salix bugfix/security release, which are edited as the need arise & are noticeable by the appended suffix of a third number, so far we had: 13.0.1, 13.0.2, 13.1.1 & 13.1.2.

If upgrades have been performed on a regular basis, there is no need for installing a bugfix/security release, which are provided as a convenience for brand new installations.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Dennola4

Post by Dennola4 »

Have I told you guys I love you lately?

Timely, thorough response. Thanks as always.

-Dennis in New Orleans
There are no stupid questions.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

BTW, Salix OS architecture has been designed, among other things, with the care of older versions in mind. For example, If you have an older version of Salix, you will never ever have a broken system by performing a mere upgrade (that is if you did not manually change your repo sources in slaptget/gslapt and foolishly pointed it towards another incompatible package repo).
Furthermore, our older repositories continue to benefit from the usual Slackware bugfix/security upgrades (& eventually ours if necessary) for a few months/years after each new releases.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Many thanks to George, JRD and everyone else involved in this new release.
:D
satyr

Post by satyr »

witek wrote: One might argue what is important bugfix. When I looked into geany`s release notes there are many bugfixes more or less important.
Tell me what is your version of salix (32 or 64 bit) and i will make a package for you.
--Trzeba pomagać kolegom z tego samego miasta :-D--
Pozdrawiam
Sorry for my Polish intercalation
Ka Mate! Ka Mate! | Ka Ora! Ka Ora!
Tenei te ta ngata puhuru huru | Nana nei i tiki mai

Whakawhiti te ra | A upane ka upane!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra! | Hi!!
witek

Post by witek »

satyr wrote: Tell me what is your version of salix (32 or 64 bit) and i will make a package for you.
Many thanx but I can do it myself :) I just wanted to ask if there`s omission or something.
satyr wrote: --Trzeba pomagać kolegom z tego samego miasta :-D--
Pozdrawiam
W każdym razie dzięki ;)

Sorry for my polish interuption, too