Salix Fluxbox edition development has begun

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Fluxbox edition development has begun

Post by gapan »

The lightweight and quite popular Fluxbox window manager gets its own Salix edition! This is the first public release of Salix Fluxbox. The collection of applications that come with this release is very similar to the one in the Xfce edition, including the Firefox web browser, the Claws-Mail emailer, the OpenOffice.org office suite, the exaile music library the Gimp image editor and more. All Salix system tools are of course also included and available through the customized Fluxbox menu. The collection of applications should not be considered final; it may, and it will most probably change until the final release. User input is mostly welcome.

Please download the iso image, test it and tell us what you think about it. Help us weed out any bugs and tell us what you think might make this even better, so we can make the final release as good as possible. You can download the installation image from our SourceForge page.

The latest development release is:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
(md5: 5cb4af0c7141aea2d53cb908ace3f481, size: 566MB)

Many thanks to Kerd and ax who created the Fluxbox edition. They deserve all the credit for developing this.

Have fun!
ikke

Re: Salix Fluxbox edition development has begun

Post by ikke »

Just to say : thank you.

Any Salixlive Fluxbox to be available very soon?

Thank you.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I gave it a quick spin last night, here's what I found:
1) slapt-get --upgrade pulled in 23 upgrades
2) dotnew did not rum from the menu. The password box does come up, but nothing after entering your password. Dotnew does run from the command line
3) gigolo doesn't have the network connection available ( samba, ssh). I tried running dbus-launch gigolo from the command line, but still no network connections. It doesn't look like the gvfs services get started. There's no .gvfs directory in the user home directory. If I recall, one of the early LXFE pre-releases had a similar problem.
Everything else I tried seem to work

Rich
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Kerd

Post by Kerd »

ikke until now we never speak about but i hope yes.

laprjns thank you for your remarks, sooner we will upgrade the packagers and fix dotnew and gigolo.
lukove

Post by lukove »

i am not allways using a Salix but this fluxbox edition is awesome.. i have now debian with fluxbox and xfce... i want know that Conky is included in fluxbox cd? thanks..
Kerd

Post by Kerd »

Yes, it is included and it comes with our customized configuration. you'll have to start it manually.
But please note that we could remove it in the next releases.
Antid Oto

Post by Antid Oto »

Good news! With this version would cover the spectrum of computers with 96 to 128 MB of RAM. It would be nice to create a Salix JWM version, or include it with fluxbox (ex. jwm as second desktop manager). Salix would make a kind of PuppyLinux for older computers (less than 64 mb of ram), no?
klanger

Post by klanger »

I'm downloading the iso at the moment... Tint2 is an awesome panel alternative to native fluxbox panel :) You may want to try it?
autogestion

Post by autogestion »

Since I know Salix does not do more than giving me joys, fluxbox is a big news and now even see possible that some day exist a Salix with jwm. Happinesses!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desde que conozco Salix no hace más que darme alegrías, fluxbox es una gran noticia y ahora incluso veo posible que algún día exista un Salix con jwm. ¡Felicidades!
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

klanger wrote:I'm downloading the iso at the moment... Tint2 is an awesome panel alternative to native fluxbox panel :) You may want to try it?
You might want to try to use a Conky Panel (two-liner or one-liner, depend on the size of your Fluxbox Panel) which can inherit the native Fluxbox Panel style (since it is using 'The Slit') ;)

See: Salix OS • View topic - Getting "Conky Panel Type" displayed with Fluxbox
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix