Salix Xfce 13.2beta1 is ready for testing!

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Xfce 13.2beta1 is ready for testing!

Post by mimosa »

I've noticed the same, and just assumed that was the Beta Way. One or two of my bug reports have led to minor package updates, and I just do a general update;upgrade then.

EDIT I like the new tray icon, by the way (just ran the notifier from console) :)

EDIT

Actually, it looks unhappy, though it duly opened gslapt whch is installing seven packages as we speak (including gtk-something). The icon remained red, though, and when I clicked again, it opened another instance of gslapt:

Code: Select all

root[mimosa]# slapt-update-notifier 

** (slapt-update-notifier:11575): WARNING **: refresh cache failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

** (slapt-update-notifier:11575): WARNING **: check for updates failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

I thought I would post a screenshot in case I wasn't being clear. As you can see, VLC and Clementine are both white although I am using a dark theme which works fine in Thunar, Firefox, the calculator and many others.
here's a screenshot of VLC in Salix 13.1.2

btw, for whatever reason appearance doesn't draw the correct panel image for all themes.

I don't know if it means anything at all but I installed gparted and the way my disk seems to be set up is...
sda1 /, swap, then sda3 /home. when I installed this I just did a guided imstall. I don't remember seeing a setup where swap was between / and /home. maybe that's why qtconfig can't find the GTK themes or the default theme path? because it expects it elsewhere?

I just noticed the buttons for Clementine aren't drawing correctly either
Last edited by loukingjr on 28. Feb 2011, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
lmello

Post by lmello »

Apparently, GDM does not like bash-completion-1.3:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... re-863157/

I can start XFCE from the command line with 'startx', but I had to remove /etc/bash-completion.d/slapt for GDM to work.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

mimosa wrote:I've noticed the same, and just assumed that was the Beta Way. One or two of my bug reports have led to minor package updates, and I just do a general update;upgrade then.

EDIT I like the new tray icon, by the way (just ran the notifier from console) :)

EDIT

Actually, it looks unhappy, though it duly opened gslapt whch is installing seven packages as we speak (including gtk-something). The icon remained red, though, and when I clicked again, it opened another instance of gslapt:

root[mimosa]# slapt-update-notifier 

** (slapt-update-notifier:11575): WARNING **: refresh cache failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

** (slapt-update-notifier:11575): WARNING **: check for updates failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
If I run it manually everything works fine, it just doesn't work automatically.

I've installed both 64 and 32 bit systems and I have the same problem with both.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The behaviour I am getting now is that the (red) icon appears next to the wicd one when I run the notifier as root, but all that happens then is I get those messages, exactly as posted above. When I click on the icon, it opens gslapt and offers to upgrade the packages. Maybe it's not mean to be run from the console. However, whatever process would normally make it appear and be red when there are any changes needed doesn't seem to be in place. When gslapt finishes, the icon disappears. The upgrading appears in the terminal

eg

Upgrading package lilosetup-0.2.6-noarch-1plb -> lilosetup-0.2.7-noarch-1plb...
| LiloSetup (GUI utility to setup LILO)
but now it's finished, it just hangs there (the app doesn't appear to have exited). I closed gslapt.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I updated the slapt-update-service package today. It should start with your session now. I'm still not too happy about it. There will probably be yet another update tomorrow.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

loukingjr wrote:
loukingjr wrote:
loukingjr wrote:I just installed 13.2b1 this morning and am running into a couple odd issues. One, I can't use "parole --xv disable". it gives me a no such command error although it works with other distros. I also installed VLC 1.1.7 and it won't change appearance when I force window style to GTK+ to match my theme.
still having an issue with VLC not changing themes. :(
did an update this morning. I saw there was a GTK+ update. However, VLC still won't adopt the same GTK+ theme as the rest of the apps. I assume it has something to do with the VLC compile since every other version that allows one to choose GTK+ as a theme option works on other distros as I mentioned.

edit: I didn't have this issue in 13.1.2 and before.
me again. I tried reinstalling 13.2beta1 and updating everything. I still am having the same issues with qtconfig but...
I have a question. when I looked in /media there are three copies of everything...cdrecorder, cdrecorder0, cdrecorder1, cdrom, cdrom0, cdrom1, dvd, dvd0, dvd1 etc. Is that normal? I couldn't remember if 13.1.2 was like that or not. In case I forgot to mention this, I am running Salix in VirtualBox 4.0.4 as a guest.
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

loukingjr wrote:I have a question. when I looked in /media there are three copies of everything...cdrecorder, cdrecorder0, cdrecorder1, cdrom, cdrom0, cdrom1, dvd, dvd0, dvd1 etc. Is that normal? I couldn't remember if 13.1.2 was like that or not. In case I forgot to mention this, I am running Salix in VirtualBox 4.0.4 as a guest.
Yes, that's normal.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

The updater appears to be working now :)