Salix Xfce 13.37beta2 is ready

seacat

Re: Salix Xfce 13.37beta2 is ready

Post by seacat »

gapan wrote:
seacat wrote:I'm using the spanish keyboard layout, but how can I configure the keyboard for latinamerican layout? (the spanish keyboard layout it's a bit different).
Run the keyboard configuration tool and select the appropriate keymap. No idea what that might be though.
Oh yes, I used it. But due to there isn't latinamerican layout in the list, I had to configure the keyboard layout as spanish. For that reason I've little differences with some keys. For example, in GNOME or KDE exists the option "la" or "la-latin1" and works well. Is it possible to add the latinamerican layout to the keyboard configuration tool?

Thanks.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Here's a way to do it by editing an X configuration file:

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... ard#p12645

The post is in French, but I hope the "code" speaks for itself. I think this wasn't for current, but it should work in the same way, though possibly a different line number in the file. Just uncomment that line and change to your layout.

I'm not sure *which* keyboard you'll need, but it should be possible to find out. Here in Brazil, there is actually more than one layout in common use, though they are very similar.

I'm also not sure if this is the "proper" way to do this (and I imagine it won't work from the true command line, that is, before starting X) but it solved a similar problem for me.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

seacat wrote:Oh yes, I used it. But due to there isn't latinamerican layout in the list, I had to configure the keyboard layout as spanish. For that reason I've little differences with some keys. For example, in GNOME or KDE exists the option "la" or "la-latin1" and works well. Is it possible to add the latinamerican layout to the keyboard configuration tool?
Yes. I can see there is a la-latin1 keymap. But you need to tell me what is the corresponding XkbLayout is so I can add it to keyboardsetup/gtkkeyboardsetup. Also if there is an XkbVariant that should be used by default or any XkbOptions.
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

hey guys, I found this nice little review yesterday
http://all-things-linux.blogspot.com/20 ... sions.html

I haven't used the beta, I'm still sticking to stable you see, but let me tell you that the wallpaper looks awesome :mrgreen:
I'm (im)patiently waiting for the new release :lol:
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

I've not installed the new beta, but I've got the 64-bit version fully updated, so I guess it should include everything except possibly new artwork.

So far, only one complaint (not one that Salix can do anything about) - the new Seamonkey beta build breaks the en_GB dictionary support, so I have no spell checking. Not a major problem, hopefully the Seamonkey people will fix that soon....

Other than that, its running without problems on my T61. I'm about to install the beta on my desktop - only 32-bit at the moment, but that should be changing shortly.

Paul.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

I seam to have encountered problems with Exaile.

1. The Shoutcast radio plugin doesn't work (but it didn't in the last version).
2. I'm unable to restore the window via the tray icon after minimising to tray using the window button.
3. Interface hangs if you try to skip tracks quickly.

I'll take a look at the Exaile bugtracker when I get a chance but has anyone else experienced these problems?
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Shoutcast changed its architecture a few months ago & broke all media applications' plugins. Some got fixed and upgraded to the new Shoutcast and some didn't (and are not planning too).
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

I noticed the last time I updated there was a new kernel but it was excluded by the filter settings. Is there a good reason to update to the new kernel or should I leave well enough alone?

thanks

edit: nevermind. I did a snapshot of my install first and tried it. it wouldn't boot. so I reverted back.
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
ruario

Post by ruario »

gapan wrote:
Andyun wrote:Font does not appear as clear as in previous versions of the Slix OS. Also noted the uneven spacing between letters in a word. Settings did similar in the menu: Settings -> Appearance -> Font. How else can we improve it from displaying?
The font rendering has changed. Most people say that they prefer the new one. It's a matter of taste I guess.
@Andyun: Remember that SalixOS is basically Slackware so you can usually find out more about these kinds of changes in Slackware's CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT. The bit you want is this:
The (formerly) patented bytecode interpreter is now enabled in the freetype package, so your fonts might look a bit different. If this is undesirable, you can restore the previous default with this line:

Code: Select all

# ln -s ../conf.avail/10-autohint.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

loukingjr wrote:I noticed the last time I updated there was a new kernel but it was excluded by the filter settings. Is there a good reason to update to the new kernel or should I leave well enough alone?

thanks

edit: nevermind. I did a snapshot of my install first and tried it. it wouldn't boot. so I reverted back.
You need to run lilo after you upgrade your kernel.