Salix Xfce 13.37beta2 is ready

loukingjr

Re: Salix Xfce 13.37beta2 is ready

Post by loukingjr »

gapan wrote:
loukingjr wrote:I noticed the last time I updated there was a new kernel but it was excluded by the filter settings. Is there a good reason to update to the new kernel or should I leave well enough alone?

thanks

edit: nevermind. I did a snapshot of my install first and tried it. it wouldn't boot. so I reverted back.
You need to run lilo after you upgrade your kernel.
well, is there a good reason to update to the new kernel? and do I just type lilo in the terminal as root?

thanks again
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

loukingjr wrote:well, is there a good reason to update to the new kernel? and do I just type lilo in the terminal as root?
yes on both.
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

gapan wrote:
loukingjr wrote:well, is there a good reason to update to the new kernel? and do I just type lilo in the terminal as root?
yes on both.
ok, danke :)
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

ruario wrote:
gapan wrote:
Andyun wrote:Font does not appear as clear as in previous versions of the Slix OS. Also noted the uneven spacing between letters in a word. Settings did similar in the menu: Settings -> Appearance -> Font. How else can we improve it from displaying?
The font rendering has changed. Most people say that they prefer the new one. It's a matter of taste I guess.
@Andyun: Remember that SalixOS is basically Slackware so you can usually find out more about these kinds of changes in Slackware's CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT. The bit you want is this:
The (formerly) patented bytecode interpreter is now enabled in the freetype package, so your fonts might look a bit different. If this is undesirable, you can restore the previous default with this line:

Code: Select all

# ln -s ../conf.avail/10-autohint.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/
Many thanks for the hint, ruario! While the font does not become same clear as in previous versions, but still noticeably better. Probably, it still can be improved?
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

Sub-pixel settings in the menu: Settings -> Appearance -> Font - is not worked, this function is disabled!
JeeGeek

Post by JeeGeek »

Salix Beta works great, but:

1. Nvidia user must blacklist xf86-video-nouveau-blacklistfile after install or glaspt install xf86-video-nouveau and delete xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist.

2. amsn need libtls1.6
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

gapan wrote:
loukingjr wrote:Just installed SalixOS 13.37beta2 and all is well except, I am still having a problem with qtconfig. launching it in the terminal gives me this...
louis[~]$ qtconfig
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
I'll have to try that. Was it working in a default 13.1 installation?
loukingjr wrote:I was also wondering if there is an equivalent of gnome-color-chooser or a version of lxappearance that will let me change the colors of GTK themes.
Not exactly what you're asking for but close enough I think. You can create new gtk themes based on existing ones just by copying the theme directories to a new one. For example:

cp -r /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks /usr/share/themes/MyClearlooks
and then edit the /usr/share/themes/MyClearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file with a text editor and change whatever colours you want.
I'm not sure if it worked in 13.1 or not...
I know I can edit themes "by hand" but I'm a tad lazy. :lol: I guess I will have to though. :D
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

JeeGeek wrote:1. Nvidia user must blacklist xf86-video-nouveau-blacklistfile after install or glaspt install xf86-video-nouveau and delete xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist.
I don't understand. The nouveau driver is included by default and the blacklist package isn't.
JeeGeek wrote:2. amsn need libtls1.6
There is no such library. amsn works fine here. Do you get an error message? What exactly is that?
valleiboi

Post by valleiboi »

thank you for good release, but
# slapt-get --search kernel-source

kernel-source-2.6.33.4_smp-noarch-1 [inst=no]: kernel-source (Linux kernel source)
kernel-source-2.6.37.6_smp-noarch-2 [inst=no]: kernel-source (Linux kernel source)
and uname -a gives

Linux darkstar 2.6.37.5-smp #2 SMP Thu Mar 24 00:51:30 CDT 2011 i686
as result I can't build any kernel module without kernel upgrade ...
or could you please give a link to beta2 kernel-source (2.6.37.5-smp)

aside from this problem - bravo, keep on going.
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

valleiboi wrote: as result I can't build any kernel module without kernel upgrade ...
and what is the problem with that?
upgrade your kernel and install a matching kernel-source,
just remember to run lilo after you upgrade your kernel