Salix Xfce 13.37beta2 is ready

seacat

Re: Salix Xfce 13.37beta2 is ready

Post by seacat »

gapan wrote:
seacat wrote:Oh yes, I used it. But due to there isn't latinamerican layout in the list, I had to configure the keyboard layout as spanish. For that reason I've little differences with some keys. For example, in GNOME or KDE exists the option "la" or "la-latin1" and works well. Is it possible to add the latinamerican layout to the keyboard configuration tool?
Yes. I can see there is a la-latin1 keymap. But you need to tell me what is the corresponding XkbLayout is so I can add it to keyboardsetup/gtkkeyboardsetup. Also if there is an XkbVariant that should be used by default or any XkbOptions.
Well, I found a solution but I have a question. You'll see... I used the keyboard utility from Settings menu (I guess this is the right name, because I use my desktop in Spanish). Any way, in this utility there is a tab "layout" that allows to change the current keyboard layout and here exists the "latinamerican" layout (called "latam") with his variants. So, I configured correctly my keyboard.

An now the question. At least in Xfce version, there are two different ways to config:
1) Using gtkkeyboardsetup in System menu (and accessed with password)
2) Using Keyboard in Settings menu (which is accessed without password and it is part of Xcfe config)

Which is the sense to have two different applications doing the same task with different results and one of them protected by password and the other not?
valleiboi

Post by valleiboi »

Duncan_Idaho wrote: and what is the problem with that?
upgrade your kernel and install a matching kernel-source,
just remember to run lilo after you upgrade your kernel
I did exactly the same thing ... but I've used slackware in the past - for the newby - upgrading the kernel - means almost certain "kernel panic". And don't forget it is public beta ... and I'm quite sure this will not happen in rc or final release.
(to be honest, I'm quite sure the "upgrading the kernel" with big "!" signs should be in the wiki).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

seacat wrote:Which is the sense to have two different applications doing the same task with different results and one of them protected by password and the other not?
You already found the answer. One is a System tool. That means that it applies to the entire system, all users and all environments. The other is in the Settings menu. It is a user specific setting and an xfce specific setting, it will only apply for the running user and it won't apply to any other environment.

So, if you want to have it properly supported, please undo any changes you've made with the xfce tool (or run with a new user) and see if running

Code: Select all

setxkbmap latam
provides you with the desired keyboard map.
seacat

Post by seacat »

Thanks, Gapan.

(This is an interesting conversation between a dog and a cat).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

seacat wrote:Thanks, Gapan.

You still haven't answered my questions.
seacat

Post by seacat »

gapan wrote:
seacat wrote:Thanks, Gapan.

You still haven't answered my questions.
Meow, moew! Have you did any question?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

seacat wrote:Meow, moew! Have you did any question?
Yes. I can see there is a la-latin1 keymap. But you need to tell me what is the corresponding XkbLayout is so I can add it to keyboardsetup/gtkkeyboardsetup. Also if there is an XkbVariant that should be used by default or any XkbOptions.
So, if you want to have it properly supported, please undo any changes you've made with the xfce tool (or run with a new user) and see if running

Code: Select all

setxkbmap latam
provides you with the desired keyboard map.