Salix Xfce 13.37beta2 is ready

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 13.37beta2 is ready

Post by gapan »

Iso images for the final beta release of 13.37 are available for testing. It has been a while since our last beta release and a lot of things have changed. The most obvious is that Slackware decided to number their new release 13.37 instead of 13.2 and of course we're going to go along with that.

A major introduction in this beta release is that our installation scripts have been updated by pwatk to include support for mounting iso images remotely via http/ftp/nfs/samba and performing the entire installation over an internet connection. Installing from an iso lying on a harddrive partition has also received some updates. These new features require some good testing before we'll make a final release.

There have also been major updates in the software that is included since our last beta. Firefox 4.0 was released and is of course included, with locale package being available in our repositories. LibreOffice has also received an update and is now at version 3.3.2. The kernel has been bumped to 2.6.37.5, but we might still see an update from Slackware until 13.37 is released. Another important change is the replacement of util-linux-ng with util-linux, which everyone that has been running current should have noticed. Numerous other packages have been updated both in Slackware and Salix repositories, with the Salix-current repositories increasing considerably in size. You can take a look at the respective changelogs in the Slackware and Salix repositories if you want to find out more about them.

The artwork has also been updated since our last beta. The LILO splash screen, the gdm theme and our desktop theme have all been updated to what will appear in the final 13.37 release.

So, you can get the iso images for the 13.37beta2 release from our SourceForge project page using the links below. Please give them a good try and post back any problems you might find.

32-bit (size: 593MB, md5: 1ae8d7c69befd6f052f4b36bfcd2f0f2):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
64-bit (size: 580MB, md5: 20acdec0c68f91c4186dea923e27f29e):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Have fun!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Xfce 13.37beta2 is ready

Post by mimosa »

If I'm already running current, do I need to reinstall to "upgrade" to the new beta?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:If I'm already running current, do I need to reinstall to "upgrade" to the new beta?
No.
fdeak

Post by fdeak »

Installed without a problem on an Asus motherboard with an nvidia MCP78S [GeForce 8200] chipset, and with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ processor.

One thing I would like to see in the installer is the ability to install Salix to encrypted partitions. Slackware can do it (see README_CRYPT.TXT on Slackware). I like to install Slackware on an encrypted LVM for maximum safety on laptops (root directory and swap also go to an LVM volume in an encryted container). On the installer side this is not a big stuff, because everything must be done by hand before the installer is started, and the installer "only" detects LVM and/or cryptsetup drives and these can be selected in the drive selection menu. On Salix the installer is automatically started and no other terminal is allowed so I was unable to try the slackware method.

fdeak
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You can exit the installer as soon as it starts, and then restart it by running "setup"
fdeak

Post by fdeak »

gapan wrote:You can exit the installer as soon as it starts, and then restart it by running "setup"
It was too late and the solution is too simple :)
I will try it.
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

Just installed SalixOS 13.37beta2 and all is well except, I am still having a problem with qtconfig. launching it in the terminal gives me this...
louis[~]$ qtconfig
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
So it won't automatically set QT apps to match whatever GTK theme I am using. So I have to set what I want manually. I have many Linux distros installed in VirtualBox and for some reason Salix is the only one I have the problem with.

I was also wondering if there is an equivalent of gnome-color-chooser or a version of lxappearance that will let me change the colors of GTK themes.

thanks.
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
pevsner

Post by pevsner »

The latest lxappearance 0.5 in the lxde git (http://lxde.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb-index.cgi) has a colour chooser ( although it doesn't actually work on the last version I built). It also has mouse cursor chooser too which is good.
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

pevsner wrote:The latest lxappearance 0.5 in the lxde git (http://lxde.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb-index.cgi) has a colour chooser ( although it doesn't actually work on the last version I built). It also has mouse cursor chooser too which is good.
I appreciate the info but not sure it will help me if it doesn't actually work in 13.37beta2 XFCE. :)
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
tnmarktx

Post by tnmarktx »

Have had only one problem so far. Tried to use rpm to install some printer drivers and got this error:

rpm: error while loading shared libraries: libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Other than that, everything seems very stable.

Curious why that 64 bit flash square does not appear to be installed by default. I realize that it may be a beta release, but hey every release of flash is pretty much a beta.

Awesome job! I love the way Salix OS does Slackware.