Salix Xfce 13.37RC2

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 13.37RC2

Post by gapan »

So, it seems we need another RC after all, since there were some problems with RC1. Here is 13.37RC2. There are only a few changes since RC1:
* The 64bit RC1 iso was using an older kernel during the installation
* There have been some minor changes in the user-settings packages. There is now a user-settings-xfce package that everyone should install if you want to have default salix xfce settings applied for newly created users.

You can download both 32bit and 64bit images from our SourceForge project page using the following links:

32-bit (size: 593MB, md5:a73356195bf98ff76f639ff74f5fe276)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

64-bit (size: 580MB, md5: f344d5960f5d425d837353517d6309e1)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

So, please test and hopefully this will be the final one.
lmello

Re: Salix Xfce 13.37RC2

Post by lmello »

I'm getting a strange message on boot-time in 32-bit (I'm using VirtualBox):

Code: Select all

[    0.618213] ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI 1
[    0.618377] ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI 12
[    0.618444] ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI 7
My host machine is a 32-bit Slackware 13.37.
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

I've just done a clean install of 13.37rc2 (64-bit). Install was fine and most things are working well. However....

Using gigolo, I can connect to a Windows share once. Any attempt to connect to a second share fails with the following error popup:

Code: Select all

Connecting to "smb://IBMPEERS;tooth@hda/pictures/" failed.

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a 
reply (timeout by message bus)
I don't use Windows shares much, so I'm not sure if the problem existed in the earlier versions. Restarting the machine allows me to connect again, but only one connection. Any further connections cause the same error. Also, I have a NAS (usually use it for NFS connections), which shows up as Windows shares. When the system first starts, the shares on the IcyBox are shown in the network window of Gigolo. After a failed connection attempt, the IcyBox still shows up, but has thie message - no shares found.

This certainly wasn't a problem in earlier betas, but, as I say, I haven't used the Windows share connection for a while. I'll try the 32-bit version, but it has been updated to current, so the problem may well exist there as well.

Right. I'm now running the 32-bit version. This was a clean install of beta3, and is currently up to date, so far as I know. I have a similar problem, though the details are a bit different. In this case, I was able to make two connections to the Amahi server's Windows shares before attempting further connections failed with the same error. Also, in this instance, the network listing still shows the shares on the IcyBox NAS, and I've been able to connect to at least one of them.

Paul.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

@Imello,
is that when the installer boots and only in virtualbox? Are there any issues associated with that, or is it just the messages that you saw?

@toothandnail,
I really don't know. I don't have any windows PCs so I never use windows shares or samba. Can you try upgrading gvfs to version 1.6.7 or even 1.8.1? Use the SLKBUILD in /usr/src/gvfs-1.6.6.
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

gapan wrote:@toothandnail,
I really don't know. I don't have any windows PCs so I never use windows shares or samba. Can you try upgrading gvfs to version 1.6.7 or even 1.8.1? Use the SLKBUILD in /usr/src/gvfs-1.6.6.
I borrowed your SLKBUILD and built 1.7.3. That failed to work at all - Gigolo couldn't see any network shares at all. So I built 1.6.7 (which seems to be the last of the 1.6 series). That has exactly the same problem - I can connect to one share on the Amahi server, then I get the Dbus error.

I'm currently building a new server, using SMS ( :) I do like Slack-based OS's....). I'm not sure why the difference, but I've now created 5 Samba shares on the test SMS server that I'm running. No trouble connecting to any of them, so the Dbus error may be specific to Fedora. I've not got any real security on the SMS server at the moment (security is set to 'share' rather than 'user' in /etc/samba/smb.conf), so that may also make a difference.

I googled the problem, but the only hits I cam up with are a couple of years old, so I'm not sure where to go with this one. Its not a major problem for me, since I normally use NFS for most of my file shares, but it may be a problem for others if they have Windows shares they need to access.

Paul.
Olivine

Post by Olivine »

Hi, like Imello, I have a similar message at system boot.

Salix 13.37RC2 32-bit
Kernel: huge.s (I observed the same message with "huge.smp" kernel)
System installed into HDD.

Content:

[ 0.211788] ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI 8
[ 0.212142] ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI 13
[ 0.212699] ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI 6
[ 0.213470] ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI 4
[ 0.214732] ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI 7
[ 0.215199] ERROR: Unable to locate IOAPIC for GSI 1
INIT: version 2.86 booting

--- here is the remaining part of the standard startup notification ---

What I can say after my short recognition, these errors are related to BIOS/motherboards_controllers and shows some interrupts between devices or... not the best BIOS quality... but I did not notice any strange behavior of the system (I suppose that Linux handled it), which could be attributed to the above. I think.

That message does not appear in Salix 13.1.2.
On 13.37RCx - all of my USB devices, LAN or audio/video controllers are working well.