Salix Ratpoison 13.37beta1

thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Ratpoison 13.37beta1

Post by thenktor »

snowpine wrote:Curious if there are any other netbook/laptop users, and if so, what are y'all using for power management?
If you want a complete solution I'd recommend to use the xfce4-power-manager. You have to start the daemon in ratpoison to use it. Otherwise you can just use some battery level monitor, the CPU uses the ondemand governor by default anyway.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Shador

Post by Shador »

thenktor wrote:the CPU uses the ondemand governor by default anyway.
That's not completely true. Frequency scaling is handled by /etc/rc.d/rc.modules. The default setting is CPUFREQ=battery. This means when the battery module is loaded frequency scaling is enabled and ondeman governor used as default. As Laptops usually need the battery module, they are the only one with ondemand.
But the actual kernel default governor is performance, which is also used on desktop computers when not changing /etc/rc.d/rc.modules.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Indeed you are right. I've never really noticed because on my notebooks it works as expected out of the box and on my PC I've set up a command to switch to ondemand in rc.local ages ago ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

@ macondo

That's all very interesting, as is the post you link to. ';'=':' is handy.

Reboot/shutdown are unavailable in the Ratpoison edition, I presume because the only way to do it would be something like your method, which might not suit everybody. I think I might bind halt to C-h though, to avoid activating it unintentionally. :lol:

I notice you've got 'unclutter', which is a nice touch.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:Reboot/shutdown are unavailable in the Ratpoison edition
But they will be in the next iso release and they will need no hacks with su/sudo. ;)
macondo

Post by macondo »

gapan wrote:
mimosa wrote:Reboot/shutdown are unavailable in the Ratpoison edition
But they will be in the next iso release and they will need no hacks with su/sudo. ;)
The Ratpoison edition should be plain, let the user become root or sudo to halt or reboot, not everybody wants to sudo NOPASSWD, it's up to them, IMHO :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

macondo wrote:The Ratpoison edition should be plain, let the user become root or sudo to halt or reboot, not everybody wants to sudo NOPASSWD, it's up to them, IMHO :)
I didn't say that the solution will be using sudo. Exactly the opposite. It won't be using halt or reboot commands either.
macondo

Post by macondo »

My mistake, language barrier :)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Last night I tried actually using workspaces, and had some problems. ALT -Fx to move between them was OK, but moving the current window to workspace x with C-t Fx either didn't work or made Ratpoison hang - just the wallpaper and the mousepointer visible, but nothing working, including unclutter. The same when I tried to move up a workspace from the top. This should presumably either go to the first workspace, do nothing, or do nothing and generate an error message.

I changed it back to C-t just to make sure it wasn't because of the key I'm using instead of the default.

Incidentally, the use I found for them was when working with two tiled windows (IDLE and Python book in Zathura) if I wanted to look at anything else without having to redo the tiling, it was easy to have two workspaces.

EDIT

A minor thing - screensaver seems not to be there, is this intentional, or did I break it?

I put call to xscreensaver in .xinitrc, which works, but pops up an annoying message for a few seconds. Should I put it somewhere else?
snowpine

Post by snowpine »

I find myself using my Xfce "crutch" less and less as I learn my way around Ratpoison. It is a a bit of a learning curve, but is kind of addictive. :) I installed it in replacement of Ubuntu 11.04; the difference between Unity and Ratpoison is night and day!

I'm slowly experimenting with changes to .ratpoisonrc, the first thing I did was add Alt-Tab for quick app-switching.

Nice work, let me know if there's any way I can help! :)