Salix Ratpoison 13.37beta1

snowpine

Re: Salix Ratpoison 13.37beta1

Post by snowpine »

Aha! My first question/bug/issue with Salix Ratpoison Edition!

When logged into Xfce, I can "ssh -X" no problem.

In a Ratpoison session, I can't start X apps over the SSH connection. On SSH login I see:

Code: Select all

Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
When I try to open an app (thunar for example) I get:

Code: Select all

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyThunar: Cannot open display:
Help using xauth with Ratpoison?
Shador

Post by Shador »

Does ssh -Y work? The first warnings are related to the use of -X.
snowpine

Post by snowpine »

YES!!!! ssh -Y works where -X did not. Thanks for your help. I will read up on the difference between -X and -Y.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm getting some strange crashes where everything suddenly stops and a black screen appears with messages. Every line begins

[ 84.755339]

(at least, that was the number the last time)

My install of the beta is very far from pristine, so this may be the result of something I've changed. I can't remember this ever happening with Salix before, though. It is completely dead, and only manual reset helps.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:I'm getting some strange crashes where everything suddenly stops and a black screen appears with messages. Every line begins

[ 84.755339]

(at least, that was the number the last time)

My install of the beta is very far from pristine, so this may be the result of something I've changed. I can't remember this ever happening with Salix before, though. It is completely dead, and only manual reset helps.
That looks like kernel trouble, which only means one thing: hardware failure.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Oh dear. Some trouble I had with the live alpha made me think that too - things mysteriously working then not working :(
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I added apvlv in our slkbuild repo. I think I prefer it over zathura for the default pdf viewer. It additionally supports djvu files. Try it with slapt-src/sourcery.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm still at the stage of being annoyed with apvlv because it's different from zathura, but that's neither here nor there. I'll try using it for a few days.

However, I've noticed that zathura has some gaps: visual mode, great idea, doesn't actually work yet; counts, ditto. One thing it does have that apvlv doesn't seem to is f to follow internal links (not sure about actual links to the web). On the other hand, when I opened the draft Salix Guide, apvlv bypasses the first page and goes to a list of the document's parts, rather like the left-hand frame you get in evince. As you can see, I'm still finding my feet with it!

EDIT

I haven't actually used apvlv that much yet, but my impression is that it is quite as much a work in progress asZathura, i.e. the feature set is patchy and patchily implemented. One thing I haven't investigated yet that could leave me with a stronger preference is how configurable it is.

First time round, the slackbuild failed with a message about cmake. When I installed this, it worked.

I can't remember for sure, but I think I also had trouble getting zathura to display two facing pages, i.e. like an actual book. The layout of some documents means they are much easier to read like that, and it is possible in evince.

An unrelated point is that as far as I can see, there's no way of configuring where vimprobable puts downloaded files. The ability to change it in vimprobablerc would be an acceptable second best (for me) to being asked each time. In Jumanji, I can't make JRD's script (which calls zenity to ask the user where to put the file) work with ratpoison, but the location is still easily configurable.
snowpine

Post by snowpine »

Any update on this? Anything I can do to help? :)
ZenMystic

Post by ZenMystic »

WOW! Not sure how this slipped by me but I've gotta give this a whirl.