Salix Live Xfce 13.37 alpha

pwatk

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37 alpha

Post by pwatk »

I've updated everything to the beta and I can boot to the desktop from my laptop but I still have to manually probe the sky2 module. Shouldn't the kernel do this automatically?
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

How difficult would it be to enable DNS name resolution for initextra so you can browse the internet easily once the desktop is up?

I know the problem can be resolved by manually editing resolv.conf or disconnecting and reconnecting wicd (which also temporarily breaks the union filesystem) but there's got to be an easier way.

Maybe a simple script could do it if the dhcp client doesn't:

Code: Select all

echo "nameserver $(/sbin/route | awk '/^default/ { print $2 }')" >> /etc/resolv.conf
Edit: I nearly forgot... booting over HTTP works even if it is a bit slow over the internet :P :ugeek:.
Shador

Post by Shador »

pwatk wrote:How difficult would it be to enable DNS name resolution for initextra so you can browse the internet easily once the desktop is up?

I know the problem can be resolved by manually editing resolv.conf or disconnecting and reconnecting wicd (which also temporarily breaks the union filesystem) but there's got to be an easier way.

Maybe a simple script could do it if the dhcp client doesn't:

Code: Select all

echo "nameserver $(/sbin/route | awk '/^default/ { print $2 }')" >> /etc/resolv.conf
Without looking at the code, I guess the resolv.conf is created within a temporary root and probably it's possible to copy it over to the final route. Then it would be fairly cheap to fix.

Your solution would work in some cases only, not my network e.g. and it's not actually what the dhcp client does. The dhcp protocol provides means to send dhcp client machines the dns client to use, which is often the gateway, sometimes directly a provider's dns server and sometimes like for me another machine which is not the gateway.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

From what I gather there is no support for name resolution at all during the boot process so I don't think it is possible to copy over the resolv.conf.

Every DHCP client I've encountered has had the ability to update resolv.conf based on options in DHCP server so I'm just trying through some ideas out there to solve the problem at the moment. I did over look the fact that my DNS server is also my boot server though :oops: :) .
Shador

Post by Shador »

pwatk wrote:Every DHCP client I've encountered has had the ability to update resolv.conf based on options in DHCP server
That's exactly my point:
Shador wrote:The dhcp protocol provides means to send dhcp client machines the dns client to use
pwatk wrote:From what I gather there is no support for name resolution at all during the boot process so I don't think it is possible to copy over the resolv.conf.
I just looked at init-extra script and it calls udhcp (a dhcp client), which probably creates a resolv.conf. In any case the info can probably also be extracted through the netinfo script called by udhcp in there.
Anyway I can't try out/change anything as I'm on holiday and only have my mobile with me. But I'm sure JRD knows what to do if you ask him and if he isn't reading this.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Shador wrote:
pwatk wrote:Every DHCP client I've encountered has had the ability to update resolv.conf based on options in DHCP server
That's exactly my point:
Shador wrote:The dhcp protocol provides means to send dhcp client machines the dns client to use
Sorry, I follow you now.
Shador wrote:
pwatk wrote:From what I gather there is no support for name resolution at all during the boot process so I don't think it is possible to copy over the resolv.conf.
I just looked at init-extra script and it calls udhcp (a dhcp client), which probably creates a resolv.conf. In any case the info can probably also be extracted through the netinfo script called by udhcp in there.
To be honest I was mostly paying attention to this:
Known bugs/limitations:
- no DNS resolution supported
Shador wrote:Anyway I can't try out/change anything as I'm on holiday and only have my mobile with me. But I'm sure JRD knows what to do if you ask him and if he isn't reading this.
Hope your enjoying your holiday. I have an idea how I can test this out so I'll give it a go then post back and/or contact JRD.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Hi...coming back from holidays too :)

Well, good screenshot ;-)
Shador's right, DNS resolution could be gathered from udhcp script...but that needs extra work and I stoped when it worked. All this need to be improved. The good news is that this initrd is more or less independant from the rest of the code so can be tweaked/hacked/updated without having to release a new ISO ;-) For now, I have little time for doing all I need to do on this init_extra. I mainly focus on finalizing the Live ISO. We found new bugs and it took some time to correct them (we are all busy right now). I know it's a bit long, but we try to make good work and not release a buggy product. This seems to be ok now, so I will make a new ISO for beta. Hope I will not find new bugs just at the end ;-)
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

DNS resolution isn't really a show stopper as it can be fixed in seconds by editing resolv.conf and to be honest it's the only major bug (if you can call it that) I've found so I shouldn't worry too much.

I'm working on some changes to the setup scripts for the installation discs at the moment but keep me posted on any changes you make to init_extra and I'll take it for a spin.
idahoclint

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37 beta

Post by idahoclint »

FWIW, I found your beta of 7/29 and took it for a test drive. I attempted a liveclone over 4 hours ago on a 1.4 GHz laptop with 2 GB of RAM and it appears to have stalled during Creating custom module at 50%. In the ../tmp/liveclone folder on the HD where the liveclone was to do its work, there are 2 folders (boot, salixlive\n/) a salix file about the size of an iso and the .live file. Inside the salixlive folder, there is a modules folder without anything in it. I realize I "jumped the gun" in downloading and playing with your first beta but thought you might want to know. Looking forward to your pending beta iso release.