Salix Live Xfce 13.37 alpha

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37 alpha

Post by mimosa »

Sometimes the shutdown process gets stuck just after the part about the random seed. This happened last night, and as the HD activity light was blazing red, I left it till this morning, by which time the following had appeared just below the random seed line:

/etc/rc.d/rc.0 / : line 194: 8134 killed $command -w

Turning off swap

ALT - SysRq - S made it produce a similar message with a line number in the 200s.

As persistence is now working, maybe this is being caused by something I've changed. In particular, I've been having trouble with privoxy, and it occurrs to me that I forgot to change rc.local.shutdown as well as rc.local.

I have installed Ratpoison and it works very nicely.

Another odd thing that happened was a window appeared out of nowhere, showing the graphical login screen at a lowish resolution. It had mouse capture like a VM. I'm afraid I can't remember the application name, but I think it began with 'x'. I also can't remember if I was using ratpoison at that point, but in any case, the window wasn't tiled.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Tested the 64 bit version. Installation and persistence worked as it should.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for reaction.
Shador wrote:Install squashfs-tools --> mksquashfs, unsquashfs
The squashfs-tools are already available on the liveCD.
Am wondering whether any options (-xv eg) are required. What should be the extension of the modules?
Moreover "activate" is no longer there. How to load a module on the fly?
Shador wrote:Just explode the iso image to your stick partition whatever. Then either just install grub2 to the stick, chainload the /boot/grub/grub.cfg you exploded or load kernel and initrd as in the /boot/grub/boot.cfg file you exploded.
Guess this is how to install the liveCD on an usb-stick. My aim is - as in the past - to install the exploded iso or at least the '/salixlive' directory of the liveCD to a 'salix-XFCE' directory an a hard disk. And then adapt my '/boot/grub/menu.lst' . Am still using grub legacy.

Can boot now but the system is looking for a salixLive-xfce-13-37-32 device. So kernel panic.

Thank you for your attention.
linus72

Post by linus72 »

so, you just want the contents of the live iso copied to a ext3(?) USB that is using Grub legacy to boot?
please clarify?
thx

EDIT:
I am actually making a remaster kit for Slackware/Salix 13.37 with either the 2.6.37.6 kernel or the 2.6.38.4 kernel.
The kits make a bootable live media just like Slax 6.1.2 with these exceptions:

the 2.6.37.6 kit works only with 2.6.37 kernels, not anything below or above as it uses squashfs 4.1 lzma and default .lzm's

the 2.6.38.4 works only with 2.6.38 kernels, which uses squashfs 4.2 with XZ compression (bin.xzm, home.xzm, etc)

Patches for aufs2 and squashfs-lzma are here
http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb ... es/kernel/

I am writing the forum thread now for these kits-look for it today:)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Moreover "activate" is no longer there. How to load a module on the fly?
This is not supported for the moment with the new system SaLT. It will be added further.
My aim is - as in the past - to install the exploded iso or at least the '/salixlive' directory of the liveCD to a 'salix-XFCE' directory an a hard disk. And then adapt my '/boot/grub/menu.lst' . Am still using grub legacy.
You could just do the same, but extract the whole CD in your USB stick.
You can then chainload your grub legacy to the grub2 boot menu using the grub.core file.
Can boot now but the system is looking for a salixLive-xfce-13-37-32 device. So kernel panic.
You probably forgot to copy the salix.live file to the root directory on the USB key.

@linux72,
The kernel used for this live Cd is a 2.6.37.6, the same as the one in the non-live 13.37. But it's squashfs 4.2 with XZ compression which is used.
You can see the patch applied by looking in our subversion: http://salix.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... ive/trunk/

P.S. Sorry, this has not been reported back in svn yet.
Please look here: http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/kernelive ... -i486-1cp/ and http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/kernelive ... 86_64-1cp/
Shador

Post by Shador »

ikke wrote:
Shador wrote:Just explode the iso image to your stick partition whatever. Then either just install grub2 to the stick, chainload the /boot/grub/grub.cfg you exploded or load kernel and initrd as in the /boot/grub/boot.cfg file you exploded.
Guess this is how to install the liveCD on an usb-stick. My aim is - as in the past - to install the exploded iso or at least the '/salixlive' directory of the liveCD to a 'salix-XFCE' directory an a hard disk. And then adapt my '/boot/grub/menu.lst' . Am still using grub legacy.

Thank you for your attention.
Just add a menuentry which loads the boot/vmlinuz and boot/initrd.xz files. Look at boot/grub/boot.cfg for the kernel parameters. All pathes are relative to the root where you exploded the Live CD to.
I'm planning to implement an easy way to "chainload" the grub2 of the live cd with any bootloader that supports loading a linux kernel and to document some of the vast many ways to load the live cd.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for replying
JRD wrote:This is not supported for the moment with the new system SaLT. It will be added further.
Thank you. Any place where I can get more info on you new system SaLT? Which is the new way to construct modules?
You probably forgot to copy the salix.live file to the root directory on the USB key.
No I copied that salix.live file to the root to the root directory where I copied 'salixlive'.

Thank you.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Shador wrote: Just add a menuentry which loads the boot/vmlinuz and boot/initrd.xz files. Look at boot/grub/boot.cfg for the kernel parameters. All pathes are relative to the root where you exploded the Live CD to.
That 's the way I am using salixlive since the first version. With great satisfaction! Up to 13.1.2 no problems. Only now ...

To have everything clear :
- am using an external usb HD (/dev/sdc1) from where I am booting.
- on /dev/sdc1 I have a directory /salixLive_xfce-13.37-32/boot/ which contains vmlinuz and initrd.xz
- copied the directory 'salixlive' and the file 'salix.live' to the root of /dev/sdc1
- here the contents of my grub-entry in the menu.lst file
"title salixlive-13.37 xfce alpha LiveCD from (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /salixLive_xfce-13.37-32/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 quiet autologin rw nopcmcia vga=791 splash=silent keyb=us lang=en_US.utf8 noauto
initrd /salixLive_xfce-13.37-32/boot/initrd.xz"

Anything I did wrong?

Thank you.
Shador

Post by Shador »

Why would you use (hd0,0) for /dev/sdc1? What's going wrong? It's a long way to find the problem, if there's not even a hint where the problem lies, so please post any error messages you have.

Also consider that this is still labeled as an alpha and on purpose not for fun. The new backend for SalixLive, SalT, is still work in progress and alpha means it's not yet feature complete. But we're happy for testing anyway, that's why it's publicly released. :)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

ikke wrote:
JRD wrote:You probably forgot to copy the salix.live file to the root directory on the USB key.
No I copied that salix.live file to the root to the root directory where I copied 'salixlive'.
Here I have the same behavior as ikke on a remastered USB Live Key. The boot process does not find salix.live file & its content although it is definitely there & matches what it is looking for. USB key is formatted with fat32
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.