Salix Live Xfce 13.37 beta

Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37 beta

Post by Akuna »

idahoclint wrote:LiveClone still fails
Thanks for the report, looking into it... New LiveClone package will be available for testing sometime today.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Could you please test this version?
=> http://people.salixos.org/akuna/livetoo ... h-1plb.txz
(Simply uninstall liveclone in a live session of the beta iso & then install this package instead)

You can also test this version of the persistence-wizard (same procedure as above):
=> http://people.salixos.org/akuna/livetoo ... ch-1cp.txz

Another problem: /boot/update-grub2.sh is not present on the iso but LiveClone depends on it to generate customized Live USB keys' grub menu.
Quick fix:, you can get it from here => http://salix.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... ision=2725
then put it in the boot directory of the USB key created by LiveClone and execute it before trying to boot on it.

This new live installer package that includes some minor bugfixes can also be tested:
=> http://people.salixos.org/akuna/livetoo ... h-1plb.txz

Suggestion: maybe we should include GMountMan in the LiveCD since partitions are not automatically mounted anymore.

Other things: reboot does not work either here.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Andyun wrote:No reboot:

Code: Select all

*** Live system cleanup ***

* Untweaking target distro
* Synchronizing memory data on disk
* Killing remaining process
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
If Ctrl-Alt-Del:

INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/shutdown"
Wish to confirm that I have the same error messages.

Many times, but not always the system is unable to shutdown the normal way.

Thank you.
ikke

Post by ikke »

JRD wrote:
ikke wrote:the 'opera' module I made (opera + seamonkey libs) makes the desktop icons and the desktop image disappear
Weird. Perhaps xfdesktop has crashed for some reason. Try to relaunch it, in a command line for exemple to see if there is an error message.
Even more 'weird' :
I made a new module using the opera 11.50 provided by Opera itself. Now all the problems have disappeared.

Am wondering what's so specific to the opera package provided by salix that makes disappear the desktop icons and the desktop image.

Any comments?
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

• About po files for the menu...I look for it. Will be fix for the next version and I advertise when it is ok with Transifex.
  • Shador wrote: Edit: Pushing the new version on my USB to take on my holiday, I noticed another small issue: In the install-on-USB.sh script you changed the call to /bin/sh "some shell commands". The line should look like this to work: CMD="/bin/sh -c '....'"
    Corrected on svn.
  • idahoclint wrote: Another item, it appears that the persistence utility doesn't work either as when I opened it, there were no mounts listed to select from. Further, I created an salix.xfs file on a USB drive under 1.3.2 and it was not recognized on boot by the beta LiveCD.
    Weird there is nothing in the list. For the persistence file, the new name is "salixlive.save". Try to rename it.
  • ikke wrote: Found the 'optional' directory is not there, nor the 'activate' commands. But guess the '/live/salt/sdc1/salixlive/modules' will do
    Yes, there is no "optional" directory. I think it was confusing having all those folders. "module" is enough. About the activate command, it is not supported yet.
  • About reboot, I'll look. It worked, so maybe I break something in this version.
ikke

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37 beta - frugal install

Post by ikke »

Thank you for comments.

Have been too optimistic about doing a "poor man's install" of Salix Live Xfce 13.37 beta.
No problem if installed on an external usb harddisk on the first partition ext3 formatted.
Big problem if installed on an usb stick ext4 formatted. System doesn't find the 'salix-xfce-13.37-32-beta-20110823-1135.live' although it is there.
Could ext4 be the problem?

Following is my grub entry :

title salixlive-13.37 xfce beta LiveCD from (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /salixlive/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 quiet autologin rw vga=791 splash=silent keyb=us lang=en_US.utf8
initrd /salixlive/boot/initrd.xz
Thank you for attention.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Could be ext4. I will make a test with ext4. Maybe my initrd doesn't mount ext4 partition correctly and thus cannot find the file.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I cannot make the test work...grub2 don't recognize ext4 partition yet. Did you test it with grub1 ? did it recognize ext4 partition ?
ikke

Post by ikke »

JRD wrote:I cannot make the test work...grub2 don't recognize ext4 partition yet. Did you test it with grub1 ? did it recognize ext4 partition ?
Thank you for prompt reaction.

As you can see from the grub entry, I am still using grub1 (the grub files provided by salix).

The bootfiles 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd.xz' file are in the "/salixlive/boot"-directory and work as expected.

Wish to add that with salix 13.1.2 the ext4 was no problem. Am writing now from salixlive fluxbox 13.1.2 installed on an ext4 formatted usb stick.

Thank you.
ikke

Post by ikke »

JRD wrote: did it recognize ext4 partition ?
Am glad to let you know that ext4 is indeed the problem.

Have reformatted the usb stick with ext3 and copied the /boot and /salixlive directories plus the 'salix-xfce-13.37-32-beta-20110823-1135.live'-file to the usb stick.

Everything is working fine for the time being. So : problem solved! You could maybe arrange so that in the future ext4 is acceptable as well.

Am very grateful : Salix Live Xfce 13.37 beta is a nice piece of work! Thank you very much!!

Regards,